Micronesia (FSM) Register Travel insurance Destinations

Last updated: ET

Still valid: ET

Latest updates: The Health tab was updated - travel health information (Public Health Agency of Canada).

Print format
Risk level(s)

Risk level(s)

MICRONESIA (FSM) - Take normal security precautions

Take normal security precautions in Micronesia (FSM).

Safety and security

Safety and security


Petty crime and house break-ins occur; particularly in Chuuk. Ensure that doors are always locked and that your personal belongings, including your passport and other travel documents, are secure at all times.

Police capacity to respond to crime and other incidents is very limited.

Women’s safety

Sexual assaults occur and foreigners have been targeted in the past. Women should avoid walking or jogging alone at night or in the early morning.

Check our safe-travel guide for women for more travel safety information aimed at Canadians.

Road safety

Driving in Micronesia can be hazardous. Most roads are in poor condition. Roads outside towns are often unpaved and become hazardous after heavy rain. Roads are shared by cars, pedestrians and livestock. Street lights are rare. Many drivers do not follow safe driving practices.

Public transportation

There is a public bus system on the island of Yap and rental cars are available. Shared taxis are available; however, most cars are poorly maintained. Do not hail taxis on the street. To ensure you are dealing with a reputable taxi company, book taxis through your hotel or tour operator. Travel between islands is done by boat.

Air travel

We do not make assessments on the compliance of foreign domestic airlines with international safety standards.

General information about foreign domestic airlines

Adventure travel

Tour operators do not always have reliable safety standards. Regardless of the type of activity, ensure that you are using a reputable and well-established company.

Make sure your travel insurance covers your planned activity.

Exercise caution when swimming offshore due to dangerous currents.

General safety information

Tourist facilities and services are limited. Plan ahead to minimize safety risks.

Entry/exit requirements

Entry/exit requirements

Every country or territory decides who can enter or exit through its borders. The Government of Canada cannot intervene on your behalf if you do not meet your destination’s entry or exit requirements.

We have obtained the information on this page from the Micronesian authorities. It can, however, change at any time.

Verify this information with foreign diplomatic missions and consulates in Canada.


Entry requirements vary depending on the type of passport you use for travel.

Before you travel, check with your transportation company about passport requirements. Its rules on passport validity may be more stringent than the country’s entry rules.

Regular Canadian passport

Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the date you expect to leave Micronesia.

Passport for official travel

Different entry rules may apply.

Official travel

Other travel documents

Different entry rules may apply when travelling with a temporary passport or an emergency travel document. Before you leave, check with the closest diplomatic mission for your destination.

Useful links


Tourist visa: Not required for stays of up to 30 days

Business visa: Required

Student visa: Required

Other requirements

You must have an onward or return ticket to enter Micronesia.

Upon arrival, visitors must present a completed FSM Immigration Arrival and Departure Record. This is usually provided by your transportation carrier prior to arrival at the port of entry.

If you want to visit for more than 30 days, you must obtain a special permit.

Departure fees

There is a cash-only departure fee of US$20 from Chuuk, Pohnpei and Yap, and US$15 from Kosrae. Ensure you have the cash prior to leaving for the airport: credit cards are not accepted and ATMs are not available at the airports.

Prescription medication

If travelling with prescription drugs, carry a letter from your doctor explaining what the medication is for and how much you need to take. You must also carry a copy of the prescription.

Children and travel

Les enfants qui ne voyagent pas avec leurs deux parents doivent avoir une lettre notariée du parent ou des parents qui ne les accompagnent pas.

More about travelling with children

Yellow fever

Learn about potential entry requirements related to yellow fever (vaccines section).



Related Travel Health Notices
  • There are no updates at this time.
Consult a health care professional or visit a travel health clinic preferably six weeks before you travel.

Routine Vaccines

Be sure that your routine vaccines, as per your province or territory, are up-to-date regardless of your travel destination.

Some of these vaccines include: measles-mumps-rubella (MMR), diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, varicella (chickenpox), influenza and others.

Vaccines to Consider

You may be at risk for these vaccine-preventable diseases while travelling in this country. Talk to your travel health professional about which ones are right for you.

Hepatitis A

Hepatitis A is a disease of the liver spread through contaminated food and water or contact with an infected person. All those travelling to regions with a risk of hepatitis A infection should get vaccinated.

Hepatitis B

Hepatitis B is a disease of the liver spread through blood or other bodily fluids. Travellers who may be exposed (e.g., through sexual contact, medical treatment, sharing needles, tattooing, acupuncture or occupational exposure) should get vaccinated.


Seasonal influenza occurs worldwide. The flu season usually runs from November to April in the northern hemisphere, between April and October in the southern hemisphere and year round in the tropics. Influenza (flu) is caused by a virus spread from person to person when they cough or sneeze or by touching objects and surfaces that have been contaminated with the virus. Get the flu shot.


Measles is a highly contagious viral disease and is common in most parts of the world.

Be sure your measles vaccination is up-to-date regardless of your travel destination.

Yellow Fever - Country Entry Requirements

Yellow fever is a disease caused by a flavivirus from the bite of an infected mosquito.

Travellers get vaccinated either because it is required to enter a country or because it is recommended for their protection.


  • There is no risk of yellow fever in this country.

Country Entry Requirement*

  • Proof of vaccination is not required to enter this country.


  • Vaccination is not recommended.

About Yellow Fever
Yellow Fever Vaccination Centres in Canada
* It is important to note that country entry requirements may not reflect your risk of yellow fever at your destination. It is recommended that you contact the nearest diplomatic or consular office of the destination(s) you will be visiting to verify any additional entry requirements.


Food and Water-borne Diseases

Travellers to any destination in the world can develop travellers' diarrhea from consuming contaminated water or food.

In some areas in the Oceanic Pacific Islands, food and water can also carry diseases like hepatitis A. Practise safe food and water precautions while travelling in the Oceanic Pacific Islands. Remember: Boil it, cook it, peel it, or leave it!

Travellers' diarrhea
  • Travellers' diarrhea is the most common illness affecting travellers. It is spread from eating or drinking contaminated food or water.
  • Risk of developing travellers' diarrhea increases when travelling in regions with poor standards of hygiene and sanitation. Practise safe food and water precautions.
  • The most important treatment for travellers' diarrhea is rehydration (drinking lots of fluids). Carry oral rehydration salts when travelling.


Insects and Illness

In some areas in the Oceanic Pacific Islands, certain insects carry and spread diseases like chikungunya, dengue fever, Japanese encephalitis, lymphatic filariasismalaria and Zika virus.

Travellers are advised to take precautions against bites.


There is currently a risk of chikungunya in this country. Chikungunya is a virus spread through the bite of an infected mosquito. Chikungunya can cause a viral disease that typically causes fever and pain in the joints. In some cases, the joint pain can be severe and last for months or years.

Protect yourself from mosquito bites at all times. There is no vaccine available for chikungunya.

  • Dengue fever occurs in this country. Dengue fever is a viral disease that can cause severe flu-like symptoms. In some cases it leads to dengue haemorrhagic fever, which can be fatal. 
  • Mosquitoes carrying dengue typically bite during the daytime, particularly around sunrise and sunset.
  • Protect yourself from mosquito bites. There is no vaccine or medication that protects against dengue fever.
Zika virus infection

Zika virus infection is a risk in this country. The mosquito that spreads the virus is found here.  

Travel recommendations:

All travellers should protect themselves from mosquito bites and other diseases spread by insects.   



There is no risk of malaria in this country.


Animals and Illness

Travellers are cautioned to avoid contact with animals, including dogs, monkeys, snakes, rodents, birds, and bats. Certain infections found in the Oceanic Pacific Islands, like rabies, can be shared between humans and animals.


Person-to-Person Infections

Crowded conditions can increase your risk of certain illnesses. Remember to wash your hands often and practice proper cough and sneeze etiquette to avoid colds, the flu and other illnesses.

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and HIV are spread through blood and bodily fluids; practise safer sex.


Tuberculosis is an infection caused by bacteria and usually affects the lungs.

For most travellers the risk of tuberculosis is low.

Travellers who may be at high risk while travelling in regions with risk of tuberculosis should discuss pre- and post-travel options with a health care professional.

High-risk travellers include those visiting or working in prisons, refugee camps, homeless shelters, or hospitals, or travellers visiting friends and relatives.

Medical services and facilities

Medical facilities are adequate for routine services. All public medical services are provided from the local hospital. There are few medical clinics. Services are limited and should be used only in an emergency. Specialist services are extremely limited. Medical evacuation, which is often necessary, is very expensive and payment up front is often required.

Decompression chambers are available in Chuuk, Pohnpei and Yap. Be aware that at any given time, even if chambers are available, there may not be available personnel who know how to operate them. Avoid engaging in any diving activity unless you have verified that a decompression chamber is not only available, but that there is also staff to operate it should you need it.

Make sure you get travel insurance that includes coverage for medical evacuation and hospital stays.

Travel health and safety

Keep in Mind...

The decision to travel is the sole responsibility of the traveller. The traveller is also responsible for his or her own personal safety.

Be prepared. Do not expect medical services to be the same as in Canada. Pack a travel health kit, especially if you will be travelling away from major city centres.

Laws and culture

Laws & culture

You must abide by local laws.

Learn about what you should do and how we can help if you are arrested or detained abroad.


An International Driving Permit is recommended.

Motorcyclists must wear a helmet.

Illegal or restricted activities

Penalties for possession, use or trafficking of illegal drugs are severe.

It is illegal (and dangerous) to remove anything from sunken WWII vessels or aircraft.

Drinking in public places is illegal.

Dual citizenship

Dual citizenship is not legally recognized in Micronesia.

If local authorities consider you a citizen of Micronesia, they may refuse to grant you access to Canadian consular services. This will prevent us from providing you with those services.

General information for travellers with dual citizenship

LGBTQ2 travellers

The laws of Micronesia prohibit sexual acts between individuals of the same sex. LGBTQ2 travellers should carefully consider the risks of travelling to Micronesia.

General safety information and advice for LGBTQ2 travellers abroad


The currency is the U.S. dollar (USD).

Most hotels and tourist facilities accept major credit cards. There are few ATMs. U.S. dollar traveller’s cheques can be exchanged at branches of the Bank of the Federated States of Micronesia.

Natural disasters and climate

Natural disasters & climate


Typhoons are more likely to occur between June and December, but major storms have occurred outside this period. Severe rainstorms can cause flooding and landslides, resulting in significant loss of life and extensive damage to infrastructure, and hampering the provision of essential services. Disruptions to air services and to water and power supplies may also occur. Keep informed of regional weather forecasts, avoid disaster areas and follow the instructions of local authorities.

During a typhoon or monsoon, hotel guests may need to leave accommodations near the shore and move to safety centres inland. A typhoon or monsoon may also disrupt travel to and from outer islands, for some days.



Local services

Emergency services

There is no centralized number to reach emergency services.

In Chuuk, dial:

  • 911, 330-2223, 330-2224, 330-3612 or 330-3616 for police
  • 330-2222 for fire rescue

In Pohnpei, dial:

  • 320-3221, or 320-2223 for police
  • 320-2222 for fire rescue

In Kosrae, dial:

  • 370-3333 or 370-3214 for police
  • 370-3333 for fire rescue

In Yap, dial:

  • 350-2415, 350-2132 or 350-2130 for police
  • 350-3333 for fire rescue

Consular assistance

There is no resident Canadian government office in the Federated States of Micronesia. You can obtain consular assistance and further information from the Embassy of Australia in Pohnpei under the Canada-Australia Consular Services Sharing Agreement.

Register with the Australian government to receive email updates on situations and events that could affect your safety while in Micronesia.

Pohnpei - Embassy of Australia
Street AddressH & E Building, 2nd Floor, Kolonia, Pohnpei, MicronesiaPostal AddressPO Box S, Kolonia, 96941 PohnpeiTelephone691 320 5448Fax691 320 5449Emailphpi.mail@dfat.gov.au
Canberra - High Commission of Canada
Street AddressCommonwealth Avenue, Canberra ACT, Australia 2600Telephone(61) 2 6270 4000Fax(61) 2 6270 4060Emailcnbra@international.gc.caInternetwww.australia.gc.caServicesPassport Services AvailableFacebookCanada Down UnderConsular servicesThe High Commission of Canada in Canberra issues passports to Canadian citizens in the states of Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, and Western Australia; in the Australian Capital Territory; in Papua New Guinea; and in the Pacific islands in its jurisdiction (Guam, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, New Caledonia, the Northern Marianas, Palau, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu).

For emergency consular assistance, call the Embassy of Australia in Pohnpei and follow the instructions. At any time, you may also contact the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa.

The decision to travel is your choice and you are responsible for your personal safety abroad. We take the safety and security of Canadians abroad very seriously and provide credible and timely information in our Travel Advice to enable you to make well-informed decisions regarding your travel abroad.

The content on this page is provided for information only. While we make every effort to give you correct information, it is provided on an "as is" basis without warranty of any kind, express or implied. The Government of Canada does not assume responsibility and will not be liable for any damages in connection to the information provided.

If you need consular assistance while abroad, we will make every effort to help you. However, there may be constraints that will limit the ability of the Government of Canada to provide services.

Learn more about consular services.

Date modified: