Travelling as a dual citizen

Dual citizenship means that you are a citizen of more than one country. Dual (or multiple) citizenship is legal in Canada. However, it may not be legal in the other country or countries where you hold citizenship.  

If you are a dual citizen and travel to the other country where you hold citizenship, local authorities could refuse to give you access to Canadian consular services. This could prevent Canadian consular officers from providing you with those services.

As a citizen of another country, you might also have to comply with that country’s laws and regulations. For example, you may be legally required to register for military service or have to pay taxes in that country.  

Before you go

If you hold dual citizenship in another country, contact the nearest diplomatic office of that country to find out if there are specific requirements you need to meet. This could reduce the risks and difficulties for you and your family when you travel there.

Country-specific information about dual citizenship is also available on our Travel Advice and Advisories.

Dual citizenship and parental child abductions

Many international parental child abductions involve parents and children who are dual citizens. Officials of the government of the country where the parent and/or child is a dual citizen will determine whether or not to issue the child a passport or visa. If you are worried about your child being abducted, you or your lawyer can ask the foreign government not to issue these documents. However, the foreign government may not comply. 

Write to the other country’s embassy or consulate and include certified copies of any court orders outlining custody decisions or necessity for consent concerning removal of your child from Canada. Send a copy of the request to Global Affairs Canada’s Consular Services (see the contact information) and tell the other country’s embassy or consulate that you have done so. 

For more information, visit our Child abduction and custody issues page or consult the publication International Child Abduction: A Guidebook for Left-Behind Parents.

If you need more information, call 613-944-6788 or email

Other resources
Date modified: