Traveller's checklist for travelling outside Canada
Visit Travel.gc.ca for travel information and advice.
- Check the Travel Advice and Advisories of your destinations for information about passports, entry and exit requirements, health and safety, and more. Travel.gc.ca/advice
Canadian passport: Make sure it will be valid well past the date you expect to return to Canada.
Visas: Check if you need one to enter your destination and apply well in advance. Check with your destination country about entry requirements.
Children: If a child is travelling outside Canada without one of their parents or guardians, an accompanying adult should carry documentation proving the right to accompany the child. Family or friends of the child should also have a copy of this documentation.
Dual citizens: You will need your Canadian passport to come back to Canada. Check with your destination country about entry requirements.
Vaccination: Check the proof of testing and of vaccination requirements for your destination and your return to Canada.
Health and safety
- Travel health clinic: Visit a clinic or health care provider six weeks before your trip.
- Travel insurance: Buy insurance even if it’s for a short trip across the border.
- Budget: Plan your expenses and keep extra funds in case of emergency.
- Itinerary: Leave a copy with friends or family, along with copies of your passport identification page and your insurance policy.
- Registration of Canadians abroad: Sign up at Travel.gc.ca/register to receive notices.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook: @TravelGoC
- Government of Canada offices abroad: Note the contact information of the office nearest to your destination.
In case of an emergency outside Canada
Contact the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate:
- +1 613 996 8885 (call collect where available)
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: