Before you leave Canada:
- Visit Travel.gc.ca, Canada’s one-stop-shop for international travel information and advice.
- Check Travel.gc.ca/advice for Travel Advice and Advisories on your destination.
- Pack the app! Download our Travel Smart app at travel.gc.ca/mobile.
- Follow our Twitter (@travelGoC) and Facebook (@travelGoC) accounts and stay connected to Canada wherever you are.
- Sign up for Registration of Canadians Abroad at Travel.gc.ca/register.
- Buy travel insurance.
- Visit a health care provider or travel medicine clinic six weeks before your trip.
- Carry a Canadian passport that is valid well past the date you expect to return to Canada. Keep a hidden copy of the identification page.
- Leave copies of your passport identification page, itinerary and insurance policy with friends or family.
- Obtain visas well in advance.
- If your child is travelling alone or with someone else, or someone else’s child is travelling with you, make sure they carry documentation proving they have permission to travel abroad.
- Obtain an International Driving Permit, if you need one.
- Plan your travel budget and keep extra funds in case of emergency.
- If you are a dual citizen, check with your destination country’s embassy or consulate to avoid problems.
- Cannabis is illegal in most countries. Do not carry cannabis or cannabis products across Canada’s borders.
In case of emergency abroad, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 613 996 8885 (call collect were available).
- Date modified: