BEFORE YOU LEAVE CANADA:
- Visit travel.gc.ca for essential country travel advice and advisories, emergency contacts, a directory of Canadian embassies and consulates, safe-travel publications and information on Travelling with children, Living abroad and Returning to Canada.
- Download our Travel Smart mobile app for essential travel information on the go.
- Sign up for the Registration of Canadians Abroad service.
- Carry a Canadian passport that is valid well beyond the date of your planned return to Canada; keep a copy of the identification page separate from the original.
- Leave copies of your passport identification page, itinerary and insurance policy with friends or family.
- Obtain any required visas well in advance.
- If travelling with children, carry documentation proving your right to accompany them (e.g. a consent letter or court order).
- Arrange for travel health insurance and take care of health needs, such as extra eyeglasses, prescriptions, vaccinations and medical certificates and supplies.
- Anticipate financial needs, such as local currency and departure tax.
- Check whether dual citizenship is an issue for you.
- Obtain an International Driving Permit, if required.
1-800-267-6788 or 613-944-6788
- Date modified: