Travel documents

Crossing international borders can be complicated and sometimes requires many different kinds of documents. Being prepared is the key to easing your way through this process, so make sure you know what documents you need, where to get them, and which ones will make your crossing quick and easy.


Canadian passports

A passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel identification document, and it proves that you have a right to return to Canada.


Many countries require visas for entry or for extended stays. Make sure you know whether you need a visa and get it well in advance of your trip.

Travel insurance

If you travel abroad you need travel insurance, no matter where you're going or how long you'll be there.

Consent letter for children travelling abroad

A consent letter will help children travelling without both parents to enter foreign countries and re-enter Canada.


If you travel between Canada and the United States often, a NEXUS card will save you time at the border.

CANPASS - Private aircraft

The CANPASS Private Aircraft program allows card holders on private aircraft to clear customs and immigration quickly and securely.

Pre-boarding identification requirements

Make sure you have all the necessary identification with you to help your airline identify individuals who may pose a security threat.

Travelling with a permanent resident card

All permanent residents of Canada require this proof of their status to re-enter Canada.

Certificate of Canadian citizenship

A Canadian Citizenship Certificate is not a travel document.

Travelling as a dual citizen

Dual citizenship can be complicated and cause problems when you travel.

International Driving Permit

Your Canadian driver's licence is not valid everywhere. You may need an international driving permit if you're planning to drive while abroad.

International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis

Certain countries require incoming travellers to show proof of vaccination against yellow fever.

Travel documents for your pets

Information on the documents required to ensure that your pet can enter your destination country.

Marriage abroad

Information on the legal issues involved in getting married abroad.

Notarial services

List of notarial services offered by Canadian government offices abroad.

CITES permits

You need permits to transport, import or export a listed wildlife species or an item containing a derivative of a listed wildlife species.

Primary Inspections Kiosks

You can make an on screen declaration using a Primary Inspection Kiosk at selected international airports.

What we are doing

Travelling abroad?

Find helpful information on health and safety, travel documents, baggage, airport security, country advice and more.

Consent letter

Information on a recommended consent letter for Canadian children travelling abroad.

Dual Canadian citizens: Fly to Canada with a valid CDN passport

Starting November 10, 2016, you will need a valid Canadian passport to board a flight to Canada.

Date modified: