Notarial services

Canadian consular officials abroad have authority under the Canada Evidence Act and corresponding provincial and territorial statutes to perform a variety of notarial services. These services are offered, however, only when no local service providers exist. Consular officials cannot offer advice on legal issues or represent persons before the courts, nor do they post bail, pay lawyers’ fees or pay fines.

Foreign governments and organizations will sometimes require that documents be authenticated before they will accept them. To learn how to authenticate Canadian documents so that they may be accepted abroad, consult Global Affairs Canada’s Authentication of Documents section. Documents should be authenticated in Canada before your departure.

To obtain a Statement in Lieu of Certification of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad, read the dedicated section on the Authentication of Documents webpage before you leave Canada. Canadian consular officials abroad may also be able to help you.

Foreign documents, such as death and marriage certificates, may be authenticated by officials at the nearest Canadian government office abroad. A fee is charged for each specialized service provided.

When no local service providers exist, consular officials abroad may provide some other notarial services, which may include witnessing a signature on a document and certifying true copies of an original document presented to the official. Fees also apply for each of these services, where they are offered.

For more information, contact the nearest Canadian government office abroad. Consular officials can provide a list of local lawyers who offer legal and notarial services to Canadian travellers.

Canadian government officials abroad can:

Canadian government officials abroad cannot:

For more information, contact the nearest Canadian government office abroad.

Date modified: