Driving outside Canada with your vehicle

If you are travelling abroad with your own vehicle, you may need a Carnet de passages en douane (CPD).

The CPD is a customs document for bringing a vehicle to another country for a period of up to one year. With a CPD, you do not have to pay customs deposits because it guarantees that duties and import taxes will be paid if your vehicle is still in the country after your CPD expires.

How to apply for a Carnet de passages en douane

A CPD is available through Boomerang Carnets.

Taking your car into the United States

Canadians who do not have a residence in the U.S may take a vehicle to the U.S., duty-free, for personal use for up to one year. If you are shipping your vehicle to the U.S., you should plan to arrive around the same time as your vehicle arrives.

Vehicles that do not meet U.S. safety and emissions standards cannot be sold in the U.S. and must be removed from the U.S. within one year.

Contact U.S. Customs and Border Protection if you plan to keep your vehicle in the U.S. for longer than one year.

Date modified: