Poland travel advice

Latest updates: The Health section was updated - travel health information (Public Health Agency of Canada)

Last updated: ET

On this page

Risk level

Poland - Take normal security precautions

Take normal security precautions in Poland

Back to top

Safety and security

Impacts of the armed conflict in Ukraine

In February 2022, Russia began a military invasion of Ukraine.

There has been a significant increase in the number of displaced persons entering Poland from Ukraine. There are important delays at border crossings. Transportation and other essential services may be strained due to the high demand.

Projectiles from the armed conflict in Ukraine have landed in areas near the Ukrainian border, causing casualties. Be aware of your surroundings.

If you are near the border with Ukraine or are transiting through border areas:

  • expect highly congested routes, checkpoints and transportation delays
  • expect limited accommodations options
  • contact your transport carrier to determine whether the situation could disrupt your onward travel


Petty crime

Petty crime, such as pickpocketing and purse snatching, occurs, mostly in larger cities. 

Theft is frequent in: 

  • buses, trains, bus and train stations and airports 
  • major tourist destinations, including busy markets  
  • areas near hotels  

On the train: 

  • exercise caution, particularly at night 
  • be extra cautious while you board and disembark  
  • store personal belongings in a safe place 
  • ensure the door to your compartment is locked from the inside 

On the road: 

  • be especially vigilant when stopped at traffic lights, as thieves travelling on scooters or on foot can snatch bags from passenger seats 
  • keep your windows closed and car doors locked at all times 
  • keep your bags out of the reach of pedestrians

Passport theft 

Ensure that your personal belongings, including your passport and other travel documents, are secure at all times. 

You must report the loss or theft of your passport to the local police. A police report is required to issue a new passport or to replace a Polish visa. 


There are reports of individuals being harassed for the following reasons:  

  • physical appearance 
  • sexual orientation 
  • acting or appearing as foreigners 

Women's safety

Women travelling alone in some rural areas may be subject to some forms of harassment and verbal abuse. 

Advice for women travellers 


Credit card and ATM fraud occurs, particularly at bars and nightclubs.   

When using debit or credit cards: 

  • pay careful attention when your cards are being handled by others 
  • use ATMs located in well-lit public areas or inside a bank or business 
  • avoid using card readers with an irregular or unusual feature 
  • cover the keypad with one hand when entering your PIN 
  • check for any unauthorized transactions on your account statements 


Cybercrime occurs in Poland. Perpetrators may compromise public Wi-Fi networks to steal credit card or personal information. 

  • Avoid using unsecured public Wi-Fi networks 
  • Avoid making purchases on unencrypted websites 
  • Be cautious when posting information on social media 
  • Be particularly vigilant if you decide to meet someone you met online 
  • Never click a suspicious link in an email or text message asking for your credit card detail  

Overseas fraud

Spiked food and drinks

Snacks, beverages, gum and cigarettes may contain drugs that could put you at risk of sexual assault and robbery. 

  • Be wary of accepting these items from new acquaintances 
  • Never leave food or drinks unattended or in the care of strangers 

Exercise caution at bars, nightclubs and adult entertainment venues that lure clients with promises of discounts. Customers have been served spiked drinks and then overcharged on their credit cards while under the influence of intoxicants at such establishments. 

  • Carry a limited amount of cash 
  • Verify the price list before ordering and the bill before paying 
  • Report all crimes to the local police before leaving the country because you cannot complete a police report after leaving Poland 


Demonstrations and marches occur frequently. They are usually held on days of social or historical significance, such as: 

  • National Independence Day on November 11 
  • International Worker’s Day on May 1 
  • the anniversary of the Smolensk air disaster on April 10 

In Warsaw, protests often occur in front of Polish government buildings and foreign diplomatic missions. 

Even peaceful demonstrations can turn violent at any time. They can also lead to disruptions to traffic and public transportation. 

  • Avoid areas where demonstrations, marches, and large gatherings are taking place 
  • Expect a heightened security presence 
  • Follow the instructions of local authorities 
  • Monitor local media for information on ongoing demonstrations 

Mass gatherings (large-scale events)


There is a threat of terrorism in Europe. Terrorist attacks have occurred in a number of European cities. There is a potential for other violent incidents.

Targets could include:

  • government buildings, including schools
  • places of worship
  • airports and other transportation hubs and networks
  • public areas such as tourist attractions, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, shopping centres, markets, hotels and other sites frequented by foreigners

Always be aware of your surroundings when in public places.

Soccer matches

Confrontations, which at times become violent, may occur between opposing fans at soccer matches. Traffic and public transportation may also be affected. Fan clubs operate similarly to gangs and certain clubs have links to organized crime. 

  • Exercise caution if you attend a soccer match or if you stay near sporting venues 
  • Be aware of large groups of supporters during soccer matches 

Adventure tourism

The South of Poland contains two high mountain ranges, the Carpathians and Sudetes. Mountain activities, such as hiking, climbing, and skiing, can be dangerous if unprepared. Weather conditions can change rapidly and can be severe, even in the summer. Lightning strikes are particularly common in the Tatra region of the Carpathians, as well as a risk of sudden storms and avalanches. 

If you intend to go hiking, mountaineering, or skiing: 

  • never do so alone and don’t part with your tour companions 
  • buy travel insurance that includes helicopter rescue and medical evacuation 
  • ensure that your physical condition is good enough to meet the challenges of your activity 
  • ensure that you are properly equipped and well informed about weather and other conditions that may pose a hazard 
  • inform a family member or friend of your itinerary, including when you expect to be back to camp 
  • know the symptoms of acute altitude sickness, which can be fatal 
  • obtain detailed information on trekking routes or ski slopes before setting out and do not venture off marked trails or slopes, particularly in early or late winter 

Useful Links 

Road safety

Poland continues to improve its highway system, but travel by road can be hazardous outside of major centres. Slow-moving agricultural vehicles are common in rural areas. Drivers often pass slow-moving vehicles by crossing into oncoming traffic. 

Road conditions  

Rural roads are often narrow with no shoulders for pedestrians or cyclists. 

Driving can also be dangerous due to: 

  • the lack of speed limit signs  
  • poorly maintained secondary roads  
  • traffic congestion 

Avoid travelling after dark in remote areas. 

Driving habits  

Drivers may be aggressive and do not respect traffic laws, especially at pedestrian crossings. Road rage is common. 

The country’s role as a major east-west route for transport trucks also poses risks. Vehicles entering Poland from outside the EU may have lower safety or emissions standards and drivers may not respect all traffic laws. 

In Warsaw, authorities routinely block major roads for ceremonies, state visits, or national holidays. 

Public transportation


There have been reports of sexual assault and harassment in unofficial taxis. Officially marked taxis will display the rate per kilometre on the back passenger window, visible from the outside. They are also required to have an operating meter.  

  • Only use officially marked taxis 
  • Make sure that the taxi has an operating meter or pre-arrange your fare 
  • Be wary of taxi drivers who approach you at the airport or whose vehicles do not display telephone numbers or a company name, these drivers usually charge exorbitant rates. 

Air travel

We do not make assessments on the compliance of foreign domestic airlines with international safety standards.

Information about foreign domestic airlines

Back to top

Entry and exit requirements

Every country or territory decides who can enter or exit through its borders. The Government of Canada cannot intervene on your behalf if you do not meet your destination’s entry or exit requirements.

We have obtained the information on this page from the Polish authorities. It can, however, change at any time.

Verify this information with the Foreign Representatives in Canada.

Schengen area

Poland is a Schengen area country. Canadian citizens do not need a visa for travel to countries within the Schengen area. However, visa-free travel only applies to stays of up to 90 days in any 180-day period. Stays are cumulative and include visits to any Schengen area country.

If you plan to stay in the Schengen area for a longer period of time, you will need a visa. You must contact the high commission or embassy of the country or countries you are travelling to and obtain the appropriate visa(s) prior to travel.

Useful links


Entry requirements vary depending on the type of passport you use for travel.

Before you travel, check with your transportation company about passport requirements. Its rules on passport validity may be more stringent than the country’s entry rules.

Regular Canadian passport

Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the date you expect to leave the Schengen area.

Passport for official travel

Different entry rules may apply.

Official travel

Passport with “X” gender identifier

While the Government of Canada issues passports with an “X” gender identifier, it cannot guarantee your entry or transit through other countries. You might face entry restrictions in countries that do not recognize the “X” gender identifier. Before you leave, check with the closest foreign representative for your destination.

Other travel documents

Different entry rules may apply when travelling with a temporary passport or an emergency travel document. Before you leave, check with the closest foreign representative for your destination.

Useful links


Tourist visa: not required for stays up to 90 days* 
Business visa: not required for stays up to 90 days* 
Work visa: required 
Student visa: required 

* The 90-day period begins upon initial entry into any country of the Schengen area. Stays are cumulative and include visits to any Schengen area country within any 180-day period. 

To stay longer than 90 days, Canadians must apply either for a Polish visa in Canada before arriving in Poland or for a temporary residence permit while in Poland and must have a valid reason for extending their stay, such as education or employment. 

Extending your stay in Poland - Office for Foreigners 

Entry from Belarus or Russia

On February 10 2023, Polish authorities closed the border crossing at Bobrowniki, near Berestovitsa, Belarus. The only border crossing open for cars and buses on the Polish-Belarus border is at Brest/Terespol.

If you intend to travel to Poland from Belarus or Russia, you must apply for a humanitarian reasons permit. 

For more information, contact the Polish Border Guards:

Entry to Poland through external borders - Polish Border Guards

Vehicles with Russian license plates

Since September 2023, Poland has enforced an entry ban on vehicles registered in Russia with nine or fewer seats. This restriction is currently in place at the border and reflects existing European Union sanctions against the Russian Federation.

Vehicles registered in Russia carrying Russian license plates will be refused entry into Poland regardless of the driver’s nationality.

Ban on the import of passenger cars registered in Russia – Polish Border Guards (in Polish)

Dual citizenship

Canadians who also hold Polish citizenship must enter and exit Poland using their Polish passport.

Other entry requirements

Customs officials may ask you to show them a return ticket or onward ticket and proof of sufficient funds for your stay.

Mandatory registration

Foreigners must register their stay in Poland within 48 hours of arrival if the stay is to exceed 14 days. Registration will normally be arranged by your hotel. If you are not staying in a hotel, your host, landlord or holder of the property deed of the residence must register your stay. You should confirm with your host that they have registered you when you arrive at your accommodations. 

Children and travel

Learn more about travelling with children.

Yellow fever

Learn about potential entry requirements related to yellow fever (vaccines section).

Back to top


Relevant Travel Health Notices

This section contains information on possible health risks and restrictions regularly found or ongoing in the destination. Follow this advice to lower your risk of becoming ill while travelling. Not all risks are listed below.

Consult a health care professional or visit a travel health clinic preferably 6 weeks before you travel to get personalized health advice and recommendations.

Routine vaccines

Be sure that your routine vaccinations, as per your province or territory, are up-to-date before travelling, regardless of your destination.

Some of these vaccinations include measles-mumps-rubella (MMR), diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, varicella (chickenpox), influenza and others.

Pre-travel vaccines and medications

You may be at risk for preventable diseases while travelling in this destination. Talk to a travel health professional about which medications or vaccines may be right for you, based on your destination and itinerary. 

Yellow Fever - Country Entry Requirements

Yellow fever is a disease caused by a flavivirus from the bite of an infected mosquito.

Travellers get vaccinated either because it is required to enter a country or because it is recommended for their protection.


  • There is no risk of yellow fever in this country.

Country Entry Requirement*

  • Proof of vaccination is not required to enter this country.


  • Vaccination is not recommended.

* It is important to note that country entry requirements may not reflect your risk of yellow fever at your destination. It is recommended that you contact the nearest diplomatic or consular office of the destination(s) you will be visiting to verify any additional entry requirements.

About Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever Vaccination Centres in Canada

Hepatitis A

There is a risk of hepatitis A in this destination. It is a disease of the liver. People can get hepatitis A if they ingest contaminated food or water, eat foods prepared by an infectious person, or if they have close physical contact (such as oral-anal sex) with an infectious person, although casual contact among people does not spread the virus.


Practise safe food and water precautions and wash your hands often. Vaccination is recommended for all travellers to areas where hepatitis A is present.

Tick-borne encephalitis

Tick-borne encephalitis (TBE) is a risk in some areas of this destination. It is a viral disease that affects the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). It is spread to humans by the bite of infected ticks or occasionally when unpasteurized milk products are consumed.

Travellers to areas where TBE is found may be at higher risk  during April to November, and the risk is highest for people who hike or camp in forested areas.

Protect yourself from tick bites. The vaccine is not available in Canada. It may be available in the destination you are travelling to.


Measles is a highly contagious viral disease. It can spread quickly from person to person by direct contact and through droplets in the air.

Anyone who is not protected against measles is at risk of being infected with it when travelling internationally.

Regardless of where you are going, talk to a health care professional before travelling to make sure you are fully protected against measles.

Hepatitis B

 Hepatitis B is a risk in every destination. It is a viral liver disease that is easily transmitted from one person to another through exposure to blood and body fluids containing the hepatitis B virus.  Travellers who may be exposed to blood or other bodily fluids (e.g., through sexual contact, medical treatment, sharing needles, tattooing, acupuncture or occupational exposure) are at higher risk of getting hepatitis B.

Hepatitis B vaccination is recommended for all travellers. Prevent hepatitis B infection by practicing safe sex, only using new and sterile drug equipment, and only getting tattoos and piercings in settings that follow public health regulations and standards.


Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious viral disease. It can spread from person to person by direct contact and through droplets in the air.

It is recommended that all eligible travellers complete a COVID-19 vaccine series along with any additional recommended doses in Canada before travelling. Evidence shows that vaccines are very effective at preventing severe illness, hospitalization and death from COVID-19. While vaccination provides better protection against serious illness, you may still be at risk of infection from the virus that causes COVID-19. Anyone who has not completed a vaccine series is at increased risk of being infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 and is at greater risk for severe disease when travelling internationally.

Before travelling, verify your destination’s COVID-19 vaccination entry/exit requirements. Regardless of where you are going, talk to a health care professional before travelling to make sure you are adequately protected against COVID-19.


 The best way to protect yourself from seasonal influenza (flu) is to get vaccinated every year. Get the flu shot at least 2 weeks before travelling.  

 The flu occurs worldwide. 

  •  In the Northern Hemisphere, the flu season usually runs from November to   April.
  •  In the Southern Hemisphere, the flu season usually runs between April and   October.
  •  In the tropics, there is flu activity year round. 

The flu vaccine available in one hemisphere may only offer partial protection against the flu in the other hemisphere.

The flu virus spreads from person to person when they cough or sneeze or by touching objects and surfaces that have been contaminated with the virus. Clean your hands often and wear a mask if you have a fever or respiratory symptoms.


In this destination, rabies may be present in some wildlife species, including bats. Rabies is a deadly disease that spreads to humans primarily through bites or scratches from an infected animal. 

If you are bitten or scratched by an animal while travelling, immediately wash the wound with soap and clean water and see a health care professional. 

Before travel, discuss rabies vaccination with a health care professional. It may be recommended for travellers who will be working directly with wildlife. 

Safe food and water precautions

Many illnesses can be caused by eating food or drinking beverages contaminated by bacteria, parasites, toxins, or viruses, or by swimming or bathing in contaminated water.

  • Learn more about food and water precautions to take to avoid getting sick by visiting our eat and drink safely abroad page. Remember: Boil it, cook it, peel it, or leave it!
  • Avoid getting water into your eyes, mouth or nose when swimming or participating in activities in freshwater (streams, canals, lakes), particularly after flooding or heavy rain. Water may look clean but could still be polluted or contaminated.
  • Avoid inhaling or swallowing water while bathing, showering, or swimming in pools or hot tubs. 

Insect bite prevention

Many diseases are spread by the bites of infected insects such as mosquitoes, ticks, fleas or flies. When travelling to areas where infected insects may be present:

  • Use insect repellent (bug spray) on exposed skin
  • Cover up with light-coloured, loose clothes made of tightly woven materials such as nylon or polyester
  • Minimize exposure to insects
  • Use mosquito netting when sleeping outdoors or in buildings that are not fully enclosed

To learn more about how you can reduce your risk of infection and disease caused by bites, both at home and abroad, visit our insect bite prevention page.

Find out what types of insects are present where you’re travelling, when they’re most active, and the symptoms of the diseases they spread.

Animal precautions

Some infections, such as rabies and influenza, can be shared between humans and animals. Certain types of activities may increase your chance of contact with animals, such as travelling in rural or forested areas, camping, hiking, and visiting wet markets (places where live animals are slaughtered and sold) or caves.

Travellers are cautioned to avoid contact with animals, including dogs, livestock (pigs, cows), monkeys, snakes, rodents, birds, and bats, and to avoid eating undercooked wild game.

Closely supervise children, as they are more likely to come in contact with animals.

Person-to-person infections

Stay home if you’re sick and practise proper cough and sneeze etiquette, which includes coughing or sneezing into a tissue or the bend of your arm, not your hand. Reduce your risk of colds, the flu and other illnesses by:

  •  washing your hands often
  • avoiding or limiting the amount of time spent in closed spaces, crowded places, or at large-scale events (concerts, sporting events, rallies)
  • avoiding close physical contact with people who may be showing symptoms of illness 

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs), HIV, and mpox are spread through blood and bodily fluids; use condoms, practise safe sex, and limit your number of sexual partners. Check with your local public health authority pre-travel to determine your eligibility for mpox vaccine.  

Medical services and facilities

Satisfactory medical care is available in Poland. However, emergency services may be deficient in small towns and rural areas. Some doctors will speak English, but most hospital staff only speak Polish. Medical services require payment up-front. Keep your receipt for reimbursement by your insurance provider.  

Make sure you get travel insurance that includes coverage for medical evacuation and hospital stays. 

For an ambulance call 112. 

For information about medical services outside of business hours call the National Health Fund info line: +48 22 125-6600 or 800 190 590.  Service is available in English.  

Make sure you get travel insurance that includes coverage for medical evacuation and hospital stays.

Travel health and safety

Keep in Mind...

The decision to travel is the sole responsibility of the traveller. The traveller is also responsible for his or her own personal safety.

Be prepared. Do not expect medical services to be the same as in Canada. Pack a travel health kit, especially if you will be travelling away from major city centres.

Back to top

Laws and culture

You must abide by local laws.

Learn about what you should do and how we can help if you are arrested or detained abroad.

Transfer to a Canadian prison

Canada and Poland are signatories to the Convention on the Transfer of Sentenced Persons. This enables a Canadian imprisoned in Poland to request a transfer to a Canadian prison to complete a sentence. The transfer requires the agreement of both Canadian and Poland authorities.

This process can take a long time, and there is no guarantee that the transfer will be approved by either or both sides.

Poland does not recognize dual citizenship and does not allow its citizens to serve sentences abroad. Dual nationals may, therefore, not receive the agreement of the Polish authorities to be transferred to a prison in Canada.


Penalties for possession, use or trafficking of illegal drugs are severe. Convicted offenders can expect lengthy jail sentences. 

It is illegal to consume alcohol in public places. If you are found intoxicated in a public area, you may be detained and could be taken to a sobering-up centre, where you may need to spend the night. You will be responsible for paying the cost of the stay. 

Drugs, alcohol and travel


Photography of military installations and some public buildings and monuments may result in a penalty. These installations generally have adequate signage. If in doubt, you should seek permission from local authorities before taking photographs. 

Dual citizenship

Dual citizenship is not legally recognized in Poland.

If local authorities consider you a citizen of Poland, they may refuse to grant you access to Canadian consular services. This will prevent us from providing you with those services.

Travellers with dual citizenship

International Child Abduction

The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction is an international treaty. It can help parents with the return of children who have been removed to or retained in certain countries in violation of custody rights. The convention applies between Canada and Poland.

If your child was wrongfully taken to, or is being held in Poland, and if the applicable conditions are met, you may apply for the return of your child to the Polish court.

If you are in this situation:

  • act as quickly as you can
  • contact the Central Authority for your province or territory of residence for information on starting an application under The Hague Convention
  • consult a lawyer in Canada and in Poland to explore all the legal options for the return of your child
  • report the situation to the nearest Canadian government office abroad or to the Vulnerable Children’s Consular Unit at Global Affairs Canada by calling the Emergency Watch and Response Centre

If your child was removed from a country other than Canada, consult a lawyer to determine if The Hague Convention applies.

Be aware that Canadian consular officials cannot interfere in private legal matters or in another country’s judicial affairs.

Useful links


Local authorities may request to see your ID at any time. 

  • Carry valid identification or a photocopy of it at all times 
  • Keep a photocopy of your passport in a safe place in case it’s lost or seized 
  • Keep a digital copy of your ID and travel documents 


You must carry an international driving permit. It must be obtained prior to arrival in Poland. 

The use of cellular telephones while driving is prohibited, unless they are fitted with a hands-free device. 

The use of seatbelts is mandatory for the driver and any passenger in the car. Children below 150 cm may not ride in the front seat without a child car seat. Infants in a rear-facing child car seat may only sit in the front seat of the car if the airbag is deactivated. 

Headlights must be on at all times. 

Penalties for drinking and driving are severe. The legal blood alcohol limit is 0.02 percent. Convicted offenders face heavy fines and jail sentences. 

Foreigners may be required to pay traffic violation fines on the spot. 


Riding a bike under the influence of alcohol is illegal and subject to detention and fines. 

In rural areas, cyclists and pedestrians must wear reflective clothing (or vest) when on the road between dusk and dawn or risk a fine. A cyclist or pedestrian involved in an accident and not wearing a reflective item could be held liable. 

Public transportation

Transporation tickets must be validated at the start of any trip. You could be fined on the spot if you fail to show a validated ticket to an official upon request.  

Always ensure that: 

  • you have purchased and validated your ticket 
  • the ticket matches the area and mode of transportation in which you are travelling 


The currency of Poland is the zloty (PLN).

If you are carrying €10,000 or more, or the equivalent in other currencies, you must make a declaration to customs when you enter or leave the European Union. It includes sums in:

  • banknotes and coins
  • bearer negotiable instruments such as cheques, travellers’ cheques, promissory notes and money orders
  • bonds, shares
  • gold coins with a gold content of at least 90 %
  • gold bars, nuggets or clumps with a gold content of at least 99.5 %
  • any other convertible asset

This does not apply if you are travelling within the European Union or in transit to a non-EU country.

EU cash controls - European Commission

Back to top

Natural disasters and climate

Climate change

Climate change is affecting Poland. Extreme and unusual weather events are becoming more frequent and may affect your travel plans. Monitor local news to stay informed on the current situation. 


Heavy rains and thunderstorms are frequent during the summer, sometimes resulting in flooding. 

  • Monitor regional weather forecasts 
  • Follow the instructions of local authorities. 

Back to top

Need help?

Local services

Emergency services

Dial 112 for emergency assistance.

Consular assistance

Warsaw - Embassy of Canada
Street Addressul. Jana Matejki 1/5, 00-481, Warsaw, PolandTelephone48 (22) 584-3100Fax48 (22) 584-3192Emailwsaw-cs@international.gc.caInternethttps://www.Canada.ca/Canada-And-PolandTwitter@CanadaPolandConsular district


Appointment Book your appointment online

For emergency consular assistance, call the embassy of Canada in Warsaw and follow the instructions. At any time, you may also contact the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa.


The decision to travel is your choice and you are responsible for your personal safety abroad. We take the safety and security of Canadians abroad very seriously and provide credible and timely information in our Travel Advice to enable you to make well-informed decisions regarding your travel abroad.

The content on this page is provided for information only. While we make every effort to give you correct information, it is provided on an "as is" basis without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied. The Government of Canada does not assume responsibility and will not be liable for any damages in connection to the information provided.

If you need consular assistance while abroad, we will make every effort to help you. However, there may be constraints that will limit the ability of the Government of Canada to provide services.

Learn more about consular services.

Date modified: