Last updated: ET

Still valid: ET

Latest updates: The Health tab was updated - travel health notices (Public Health Agency of Canada).

Risk level(s)

Risk level(s)

Finland - Exercise normal security precautions

There is no nationwide advisory in effect for Finland. Exercise normal security precautions.

Safety and security

Safety and security


The crime rate in Finland is low; however, petty crime (such as pickpocketing and bag snatching) occurs, particularly during the tourist season, from April to September. Be especially vigilant at automated banking machines, at Helsinki’s railway station, metro and Esplanade, and on trams.


There is a threat of terrorism. On August 18, 2017, an attacker stabbed passers-by in central Turku. Local authorities are investigating the attack as a terrorist incident. Further attacks cannot be ruled out. Targets could include:

  • government buildings, including schools
  • places of worship
  • airports and other transportation hubs and networks
  • public areas such as tourist attractions, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, shopping centres, markets, hotels and other sites frequented by foreigners

Always be aware of your surroundings when in public places.

The Finnish Security Intelligence Service has raised the country’s threat level to Elevated. Expect an increased security presence in areas that may be considered prime targets.

More information about the terrorist threat assessment – Finnish Security Intelligence Service


Demonstrations occur periodically and have the potential to suddenly turn violent. Avoid all demonstrations, follow the advice of local authorities and monitor local media.

Road safety

Driving can be hazardous in winter. Icy road conditions are common and may cause road closures, particularly in northern areas. Be wary of moose wandering on major highways.

For updates on road conditions, visit the Finnish Transport Agency’s website Liikennevirasto or the traffic information website Liikennetilanne (available in Finnish and Swedish only).

Public transportation

The public transportation system (bus, train, tram and subway) is extensive and very efficient.

Air travel

The Government of Canada does not assess foreign domestic airlines’ compliance with international aviation safety standards. See Foreign domestic airlines for more information.

General safety information

Exercise normal safety precautions. Ensure that personal belongings, including passports and other travel documents are secure at all times, especially on public transportation.

Entry/exit requirements

Entry/exit requirements

It is the sole prerogative of every country or territory to determine who is allowed to enter or exit. Canadian consular officials cannot intervene on your behalf if you do not meet entry or exit requirements. The following information has been obtained from the Finnish authorities and is subject to change at any time. The country- or territory-specific entry/exit requirements are provided on this page for information purposes only. While every effort is made to provide accurate information, information contained here is provided on an "as is" basis without warranty of any kind, express or implied. The Government of Canada assumes no responsibility, and shall not be liable for any damages in connection to the information provided. It is your responsibility to check with the Embassy of the Republic of Finland or one of its consulates for up-to-date information.

Customs officials may ask you to show them a return ticket or proof of sufficient funds for your stay.


Finland is a Schengen area country. Upon arrival, Canadians are required to present a passport that must be valid for at least three months beyond the date of expected departure from the Schengen area. Prior to travelling, ask your transportation company about its requirements related to passport validity, which may be more stringent than the country's entry rules.

Temporary passport holders may be subject to different entry requirements. Check with diplomatic representatives for up-to-date information.

Official (special and diplomatic) passport holders must consult the Official Travel page, as they may be subject to different entry requirements.


Tourist visa: Not required for stays up to 90 days*

Business visa: Not required for stays up to 90 days*

Student visa: Not required for stays up to 90 days*

* The 90-day period begins upon initial entry into any country of the Schengen area. Stays are cumulative and include visits to any Schengen area country within any 180-day period.

Immigration procedures

If moving to Finland, you must authenticate important documents (such as your marriage certificate or long-form birth certificate for any accompanying children under the age of 18). Once authenticated, the documents must be legalized by the Embassy of the Republic of Finland in Ottawa.

Schengen area

Canadians do not need a visa for travel to countries within the Schengen area for stays of up to 90 days in any 180-day period. Stays are cumulative and include visits to any country within the Schengen area. If you plan to stay in the Schengen area for longer than the 90 days in any 180-day period, you must contact the high commission or embassy of the country or countries you are travelling to and obtain the appropriate visa prior to travel. For more information, see Schengen area.

Children and travel

Children need special documentation to visit certain countries. See Children for more information.

Yellow fever

See Health to obtain information on this country’s vaccination requirements.



Related Travel Health Notices
Consult a health care provider or visit a travel health clinic preferably six weeks before you travel.
Outbreak Monitoring


Updated: August 18, 2017


This country is reporting a measles outbreak. For more information read the epidemiological update on measles.

Please refer to the vaccines section for recommendations on how to protect yourself.


Routine Vaccines

Be sure that your routine vaccines, as per your province or territory, are up-to-date regardless of your travel destination.

Some of these vaccines include: measles-mumps-rubella (MMR), diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, varicella (chickenpox), influenza and others.

Vaccines to Consider

You may be at risk for these vaccine-preventable diseases while travelling in this country. Talk to your travel health provider about which ones are right for you.

Hepatitis B

Hepatitis B is a disease of the liver spread through blood or other bodily fluids. Travellers who may be exposed (e.g., through sexual contact, medical treatment, sharing needles, tattooing, acupuncture or occupational exposure) should get vaccinated.


Seasonal influenza occurs worldwide. The flu season usually runs from November to April in the northern hemisphere, between April and October in the southern hemisphere and year round in the tropics. Influenza (flu) is caused by a virus spread from person to person when they cough or sneeze or by touching objects and surfaces that have been contaminated with the virus. Get the flu shot.


Measles is a highly contagious viral disease and is common in most parts of the world. Be sure your measles vaccination is up-to-date regardless of your travel destination.

Tick-borne encephalitis


  • Tick-borne encephalitis is present in some areas of this country. 
  • It is a viral disease that affects the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord).
  • It is spread to humans by the bite of infected ticks or when you consume unpasteurized milk products.


  • Vaccination should be considered for those who may be exposed to ticks during outdoor activities.
  • A vaccine against TBE does exist but is only available in countries where the disease is present.
  • Learn more on what you can do to prevent tick-borne encephalitis (TBE)?
Yellow Fever - Country Entry Requirements

Yellow fever is a disease caused by a flavivirus from the bite of an infected mosquito.

Travellers get vaccinated either because it is required to enter a country or because it is recommended for their protection.


  • There is no risk of yellow fever in this country.

Country Entry Requirement*

  • Proof of vaccination is not required to enter this country.


  • Vaccination is not recommended.

* It is important to note that country entry requirements may not reflect your risk of yellow fever at your destination. It is recommended that you contact the nearest diplomatic or consular office of the destination(s) you will be visiting to verify any additional entry requirements.

About Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever Vaccination Centres in Canada


Food and Water-borne Diseases

Travellers to any destination in the world can develop travellers' diarrhea from consuming contaminated water or food.

Practise safe food and water precautions while travelling in Western Europe. When in doubt, remember…boil it, cook it, peel it, or leave it!


Insects and Illness

In some areas in Western Europe, certain insects carry and spread diseases like Lyme disease, tick-borne encephalitis, and West Nile virus.

Travellers are advised to take precautions against bites.



There is no risk of malaria in this country.


Animals and Illness

Travellers are cautioned to avoid contact with animals, including dogs, snakes, rodents, birds, and bats. Certain infections found in some areas in Western Europe, like rabies, can be shared between humans and animals.


Person-to-Person Infections

Crowded conditions can increase your risk of certain illnesses. Remember to wash your hands often and practice proper cough and sneeze etiquette to avoid colds, the flu and other illnesses.

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and HIV are spread through blood and bodily fluids; practise safer sex.

Medical services and facilities

Good medical care is widely available in Finland.

Keep in Mind...

The decision to travel is the sole responsibility of the traveller. The traveller is also responsible for his or her own personal safety.

Be prepared. Do not expect medical services to be the same as in Canada. Pack a travel health kit, especially if you will be travelling away from major city centres.

Laws and culture

Laws & culture

You are subject to local laws. See Arrest and detention for more information.

Canada and Finland are signatories to the Convention on the Transfer of Sentenced Persons (Council of Europe). This enables a Canadian imprisoned in Finland to request a transfer to a Canadian prison to complete a sentence. The transfer requires the agreement of both Canadian and Finnish authorities.

Dual citizenship

Dual citizenship is legally recognized in Finland. However, Canadian officials may be limited in their ability to provide you with consular services if local authorities consider you a Finnish citizen. You should always travel using your valid Canadian passport and present yourself as Canadian to foreign authorities at all times to minimize this risk. You may also need to carry and present a Finnish passport for legal reasons, for example to enter and exit the country (see Entry/exit requirements to determine passport requirements). Citizenship is determined solely by national laws, and the decision to recognize dual citizenship rests completely with the country in which you are located when seeking consular assistance. See Travelling as a dual citizen for more information.

Illegal drugs

Penalties for possession, use or trafficking of illegal drugs are strict. Convicted offenders can expect a jail sentence and a heavy fine.

Some substances that may be legal in other European countries, such as khat, are prohibited in Finland.


You are allowed to bring in medicinal, homeopathic and anthroposophical products for personal use from countries belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA)—comprising European Union (EU) countries plus Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein—for a maximum of one year’s treatment, and from non-EEA countries for a maximum of three months’ treatment.

If required, you must be able to prove that the medicinal product is intended for personal medication. The intended use of prescription medicine must be confirmed by a prescription or medical certificate issued by a person authorized to do so. You must bring the required documents when importing the medicinal product into Finland.

You are allowed to bring in medicinal products classified as narcotic drugs from the Schengen states for personal use for a maximum of 30 days’ treatment (for a description of the Schengen area, see Entry/Exit Requirements). For importation from a Schengen state, you are required to produce a certificate indicating entitlement to import a medicinal product having a particular trade name. The certificate and the prescription for the purchase of the medicine must be issued in the state where the importing person normally resides.

You may import a refill of a medicinal product classified as a narcotic drug, but only after the treatment period of the previously imported medicinal product has expired. From non-Schengen states, you are allowed to bring in medicinal products classified as narcotic drugs for personal use for a maximum of 14 days’ treatment.


You must be at least 18 years of age to drive a car in Finland.

An international driving permit is recommended.

Penalties for drinking and driving are strict. The legal blood alcohol limit for drivers is 0.05 percent. Drivers who register this level of blood alcohol or above may be arrested immediately.

The use of cellular telephones while driving is prohibited, unless fitted with a hands-free device. Low-beam headlights are obligatory at all times. Winter tires are mandatory between December 1 and February 28.

For more information, consult the European Commission’s Road Safety website.


The currency is the euro (EUR).

Credit cards are widely accepted and automated banking machines are widely available.

When crossing one of the external border control points of the European Union and you have at least €10,000 or the equivalent in other currencies, you must make a declaration to customs upon entry or exit. The sum can be in cash, cheques, money orders, traveller’s cheques or any other convertible assets. This does not apply if you are travelling within the EU or in transit to a non-EU country. For more information on the EU legislation and links to EU country sites, visit the European Commission’s cash controls website.

Natural disasters and climate

Natural disasters & climate

Severe cold weather and deep snow cover occur in winter.



Local services

Emergency services

Dial 112 for emergency assistance.

Consular assistance

Helsinki - Embassy of Canada
Street AddressPohjoisesplanadi 25B, 00100 Helsinki, FinlandPostal AddressP.O. Box 779, Helsinki, 00101Telephone358 (9) 228-530Fax358 (9) 601-060Emailhsnki@international.gc.caInternetwww.finland.gc.caServicesPassport Services AvailableTwitter@CanEmbFinland

For emergency consular assistance, call the Embassy of Canada in Helsinki and follow the instructions. At any time, you may also contact the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa.

The decision to travel is your choice and you are responsible for your personal safety abroad. The Government of Canada takes the safety and security of Canadians abroad very seriously and provides credible and timely information in its Travel Advice to enable you to make well-informed decisions regarding your travel abroad. In the event of a large-scale emergency, every effort will be made to provide assistance. However, there may be constraints that will limit the ability of the Government of Canada to provide services.

See Large-scale emergencies abroad for more information.

Date modified: