Greece travel advice

Latest updates: The Need help? section was updated.

Last updated: ET

On this page

Risk level

Greece - Take normal security precautions

Take normal security precautions in Greece.

Back to top

Safety and security


Petty crime

Petty crime, such as pickpocketing, purse snatching and luggage theft occurs. Tourists are frequently targeted.

Organized groups of thieves often use distraction techniques and are particularly active:

  • at tourist sites and attractions
  • in restaurants, patios and bars
  • in hotel lobbies
  • on public transportation, including metro and trains to and from Athens International Airport
  • at airports, bus and railway stations including Larissa and Peloponnese stations in Athens
  • on beaches

While you’re in Greece:

  • ensure that your belongings, including your passport, are secure at all times
  • don’t keep your passport and other types of ID at the same place and carry a photocopy rather than the original
  • avoid showing signs of affluence
  • avoid carrying large sums of cash or unnecessary valuables
  • pay attention to your surroundings, particularly in crowded and tourist areas
  • be wary of unsolicited offers or advice from strangers
  • avoid isolated areas, parks and down-market bars and restaurants, especially after dark

Violent crime

Violent crime, such as attacks committed by far-right extremists against individuals belonging to ethnic, religious or political minorities are uncommon, but do occur.

Always be vigilant and aware of your surroundings.

Spiked food and drinks

Never leave food or drinks unattended or in the care of strangers. Be wary of accepting snacks, beverages, gum or cigarettes from new acquaintances. These items may contain drugs that could put you at risk of sexual assault and robbery.

Victims of crime

If you are a victim of a crime, go to the nearest police station to report it. Keep a copy of your report, as you may need it to make a claim to your insurance provider.

If you are a victim of sexual assault:

  • seek medical assistance, whether or not you appear to have been physically harmed
  • contact the local police immediately and ensure they file a report
  • inform consular officials at the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate

The Greek police has a dedicated unit to assist foreign tourists and offers services in English and other languages.

You can contact the tourism police 24/7 anywhere in Greece by dialling the 1571 or the regular police at 100.


Credit card and ATM fraud occurs.

When using debit or credit cards:

  • pay careful attention when your cards are being handled by others
  • use ATMs located in public areas or inside a bank or business
  • avoid using card readers with an irregular or unusual feature
  • cover the keypad with one hand when entering your PIN
  • check for any unauthorized transactions on your account statements

Overseas fraud


There is a threat of terrorism in Europe. Terrorists have carried out attacks in several European cities. Terrorist attacks could occur at any time.

Targets could include:

  • government buildings, including schools
  • places of worship
  • airports and other transportation hubs and networks
  • public areas such as tourist attractions, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, shopping centres, markets, hotels and other sites frequented by foreigners

Be particularly vigilant if attending:

  • sporting events
  • religious holidays
  • other public celebrations

Terrorists have used such occasions to mount attacks.


Extremist groups and organizations have used improvised explosive devices, bombs and arson attacks in urban areas to target:

  • the Greek State and its institutions
  • foreign commercial and diplomatic interests
  • medias
  • ethnic, religious and migrants’ centers and organizations

While tourists are not specifically targeted, you could find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Always be vigilant and aware of your surroundings.

Demonstrations and strikes


Demonstrations take place regularly, particularly in Athens and Thessaloniki. They are usually held on days of social or historical significance, such as:

  • Workers' Day on May 1
  • the commemoration of the Athens Polytechnic uprising of 1973 on November 17
  • the commemoration of the riots of 2008 on December 6

In Athens, demonstrations and marches occur primarily in areas around:

  • Syntagma Square, in front of the Greek Parliament
  • Omonia Square
  • the National Technical University complex on Patision Avenue
  • Exarchia neighbourhood

In Thessaloniki, they occur primarily in areas around:

  • Aristotelous Square
  • Egnatia Street
  • the Arch of Galerius
  • the campus of the Aristotle University

Even peaceful demonstrations can turn violent at any time. Demonstrations and strikes can also lead to disruptions to traffic and public transportation.

  • Avoid areas where demonstrations and large gatherings are taking place
  • Follow the instructions of local authorities
  • Monitor local media for information on ongoing demonstrations


Strikes and pressure tactics occur regularly, particularly in key sectors such as transport and public health services. These strikes can disrupt travel and public services.

  • Consult local media to be aware of strikes that may affect your stay or travel plans
  • In the event of a transport strike, plan extra time to get to your destination

Mass gatherings (large-scale events)

Women's safety

Foreigners have been sexually assaulted, most often on the islands.

Don’t accept rides from strangers or casual acquaintances.

Advice for women travellers

Water activities


Many beaches in Greece are supervised and enforce excellent safety procedures.

However, tidal changes and strong winds can cause hazardous currents and riptides.

Coral, urchin, jellyfish and other aquatic life found along reefs can poison, sting or cause infection if touched or stepped on.

  • Always obey warning flags at beaches
  • Ask local authorities about the presence of dangerous species and immediately seek medical assistance if you get hurt
  • Wear reef shoes to protect yourself against stone and coral cuts or urchin stings
  • Keep a safe distance from boats and restricted areas
  • Avoid visiting beaches or coastal areas during periods of severe weather warnings
  • Look out for signs warning of cliff erosion and falling rocks
  • Don’t dive into unknown waters, as hidden rocks or shallow depths can cause serious injury or death
  • Exercise caution and follow the advice of the local authorities

Recreational boating

If you are planning to go boating:

  • know the capacity of your boat and don’t exceed it
  • know and respect the navigation rules
  • follow safe practices for all activities on the water
  • keep a safe distance from areas reserved for certain activities such as snorkeling
  • carry a VHF marine radio that will generate your position in case of emergency
  • be prepared for emergencies

Water safety abroad


Outdoor activities, such as hiking, can be dangerous if unprepared. Trails are not always marked, and weather conditions can change rapidly, even in summer.

If you intend to go hiking or mountaineering:

  • never do so alone, and do not part with your hiking companions
  • obtain detailed information on your activity and on the environment in which you will be before setting out
  • buy travel insurance that includes helicopter rescue and medical evacuation
  • ensure that your physical condition is good enough to meet the challenges of your activity
  • avoid venturing off marked trails
  • ensure that you’re adequately equipped and bring sufficient water
  • stay informed about weather and other conditions that may pose a hazard
  • be aware of the presence of dangerous species such as snakes
  • inform a family member or friend of your itinerary
  • dial 112 from a cellphone for any emergency

Road safety

Road conditions and road safety can vary greatly throughout the country.

Severe traffic congestion and difficult terrain may lead to hazardous driving conditions.

Accidents causing fatalities are common. Drivers often drive at excessive speeds and are reckless.

Drivers and speeding motorbikes don’t always yield to pedestrians or bicycles. Exercise caution when walking, crossing streets or biking.


Accidents involving tourists renting motorbikes, scooters or mopeds are common, especially on the islands.

Small, unlicensed rental agencies do not always offer vehicles that comply with up-to-date safety standards.

  • Read the rental contract carefully
  • Inspect the equipment before renting it
  • Never drink and drive
  • Reduce your speed on rough and uneven terrain
  • In the event of an accident, wait for police to arrive

You may not be able to file an insurance claim without a police report.

Public transportation

Public transportation is generally safe and reliable. The bus network is extensive, and train services connect certain major cities. Athens has a modern metro system. Strikes may sometimes affect transportation services.


Taxis are generally safe. Metered taxis are widely available.

There are fixed rates for transportation to and from Athens International Airport. Confirm the rate before departure.


Ferries between mainland Greece and its islands meet European safety standards.

Weather conditions and strong winds can lead to cancellations or significant delays. Rough sea conditions may cause motion sickness, particularly on high-speed ferries.

  • Pay attention to pre-departure notices from your carrier
  • Always reconfirm departure schedule before heading to the port

Air travel

We do not make assessments on the compliance of foreign domestic airlines with international safety standards.

Information about foreign domestic airlines

Back to top

Entry and exit requirements

Every country or territory decides who can enter or exit through its borders. The Government of Canada cannot intervene on your behalf if you do not meet your destination’s entry or exit requirements.

We have obtained the information on this page from the Greek authorities. It can, however, change at any time.

Verify this information with the Foreign Representatives in Canada.

Schengen area

Greece is a Schengen area country. Canadian citizens do not need a visa for travel to countries within the Schengen area. However, visa-free travel only applies to stays of up to 90 days in any 180-day period. Stays are cumulative and include visits to any Schengen area country.

If you plan to stay in the Schengen area for a longer period of time, you will need a visa. You must contact the high commission or embassy of the country or countries you are travelling to and obtain the appropriate visa(s) prior to travel.

Useful links


Entry requirements vary depending on the type of passport you use for travel.

Before you travel, check with your transportation company about passport requirements. Its rules on passport validity may be more stringent than the country’s entry rules.

Regular Canadian passport

Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the date you expect to leave the Schengen area.

Passport for official travel

Different entry rules may apply.

Official travel

Passport with “X” gender identifier

While the Government of Canada issues passports with an “X” gender identifier, it cannot guarantee your entry or transit through other countries. You might face entry restrictions in countries that do not recognize the “X” gender identifier. Before you leave, check with the closest foreign representative for your destination.

Other travel documents

Different entry rules may apply when travelling with a temporary passport or an emergency travel document. Before you leave, check with the closest foreign representative for your destination.

Useful links


Tourist visa: not required for stays up to 90 days in any 180-day period
Business visa: not required for stays up to 90 days in any 180-day period
Work visa: required
Student visa: required


If you must stay in Greece longer than 90 days due to serious and unforeseen events, such as a medical emergency, you may be able to seek an extension of your stay as a visitor.

Present your request to the office of the Greek police on aliens’ issues at least 15 days before your 90-day, visa-free period expires.

Yellow fever

Learn about potential entry requirements related to yellow fever (vaccines section).

Children and travel

Learn more about travelling with children.

Back to top


Relevant Travel Health Notices

This section contains information on possible health risks and restrictions regularly found or ongoing in the destination. Follow this advice to lower your risk of becoming ill while travelling. Not all risks are listed below.

Consult a health care professional or visit a travel health clinic preferably 6 weeks before you travel to get personalized health advice and recommendations.

Routine vaccines

Be sure that your routine vaccinations, as per your province or territory, are up-to-date before travelling, regardless of your destination.

Some of these vaccinations include measles-mumps-rubella (MMR), diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, varicella (chickenpox), influenza and others.

Pre-travel vaccines and medications

You may be at risk for preventable diseases while travelling in this destination. Talk to a travel health professional about which medications or vaccines may be right for you, based on your destination and itinerary. 

Yellow Fever - Country Entry Requirements

Yellow fever is a disease caused by a flavivirus from the bite of an infected mosquito.

Travellers get vaccinated either because it is required to enter a country or because it is recommended for their protection.


  • There is no risk of yellow fever in this country.

Country Entry Requirement*

  • Proof of vaccination is not required to enter this country.


  • Vaccination is not recommended.

* It is important to note that country entry requirements may not reflect your risk of yellow fever at your destination. It is recommended that you contact the nearest diplomatic or consular office of the destination(s) you will be visiting to verify any additional entry requirements.

About Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever Vaccination Centres in Canada


Measles is a highly contagious viral disease. It can spread quickly from person to person by direct contact and through droplets in the air.

Anyone who is not protected against measles is at risk of being infected with it when travelling internationally.

Regardless of where you are going, talk to a health care professional before travelling to make sure you are fully protected against measles.

Hepatitis B

 Hepatitis B is a risk in every destination. It is a viral liver disease that is easily transmitted from one person to another through exposure to blood and body fluids containing the hepatitis B virus.  Travellers who may be exposed to blood or other bodily fluids (e.g., through sexual contact, medical treatment, sharing needles, tattooing, acupuncture or occupational exposure) are at higher risk of getting hepatitis B.

Hepatitis B vaccination is recommended for all travellers. Prevent hepatitis B infection by practicing safe sex, only using new and sterile drug equipment, and only getting tattoos and piercings in settings that follow public health regulations and standards.


Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious viral disease. It can spread from person to person by direct contact and through droplets in the air.

It is recommended that all eligible travellers complete a COVID-19 vaccine series along with any additional recommended doses in Canada before travelling. Evidence shows that vaccines are very effective at preventing severe illness, hospitalization and death from COVID-19. While vaccination provides better protection against serious illness, you may still be at risk of infection from the virus that causes COVID-19. Anyone who has not completed a vaccine series is at increased risk of being infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 and is at greater risk for severe disease when travelling internationally.

Before travelling, verify your destination’s COVID-19 vaccination entry/exit requirements. Regardless of where you are going, talk to a health care professional before travelling to make sure you are adequately protected against COVID-19.


 The best way to protect yourself from seasonal influenza (flu) is to get vaccinated every year. Get the flu shot at least 2 weeks before travelling.  

 The flu occurs worldwide. 

  •  In the Northern Hemisphere, the flu season usually runs from November to   April.
  •  In the Southern Hemisphere, the flu season usually runs between April and   October.
  •  In the tropics, there is flu activity year round. 

The flu vaccine available in one hemisphere may only offer partial protection against the flu in the other hemisphere.

The flu virus spreads from person to person when they cough or sneeze or by touching objects and surfaces that have been contaminated with the virus. Clean your hands often and wear a mask if you have a fever or respiratory symptoms.


Malaria is a serious and sometimes fatal disease that is caused by parasites spread through the bites of mosquitoes.
Limited malaria transmission may occur in this destination, but risk to travellers is very low. 
Antimalarial medication is not recommended for most travellers. Consult a health care professional or visit a travel health clinic before travelling to discuss your options. It is recommended to do this 6 weeks before travel, however, it is still a good idea any time before leaving. 
Protect yourself from mosquito bites at all times: 

  • Cover your skin and use an approved insect repellent on uncovered skin.
  • Exclude mosquitoes from your living area with screening and/or closed, well-sealed doors and windows.
  • Use insecticide-treated bed nets if mosquitoes cannot be excluded from your living area.
  • Wear permethrin-treated clothing. 

If you develop symptoms similar to malaria when you are travelling or up to a year after you return home, see a health care professional immediately. Tell them where you have been travelling or living. 


In this destination, rabies may be present in some wildlife species, including bats. Rabies is a deadly disease that spreads to humans primarily through bites or scratches from an infected animal. 

If you are bitten or scratched by an animal while travelling, immediately wash the wound with soap and clean water and see a health care professional. 

Before travel, discuss rabies vaccination with a health care professional. It may be recommended for travellers who will be working directly with wildlife. 

Safe food and water precautions

Many illnesses can be caused by eating food or drinking beverages contaminated by bacteria, parasites, toxins, or viruses, or by swimming or bathing in contaminated water.

  • Learn more about food and water precautions to take to avoid getting sick by visiting our eat and drink safely abroad page. Remember: Boil it, cook it, peel it, or leave it!
  • Avoid getting water into your eyes, mouth or nose when swimming or participating in activities in freshwater (streams, canals, lakes), particularly after flooding or heavy rain. Water may look clean but could still be polluted or contaminated.
  • Avoid inhaling or swallowing water while bathing, showering, or swimming in pools or hot tubs. 

Insect bite prevention

Many diseases are spread by the bites of infected insects such as mosquitoes, ticks, fleas or flies. When travelling to areas where infected insects may be present:

  • Use insect repellent (bug spray) on exposed skin
  • Cover up with light-coloured, loose clothes made of tightly woven materials such as nylon or polyester
  • Minimize exposure to insects
  • Use mosquito netting when sleeping outdoors or in buildings that are not fully enclosed

To learn more about how you can reduce your risk of infection and disease caused by bites, both at home and abroad, visit our insect bite prevention page.

Find out what types of insects are present where you’re travelling, when they’re most active, and the symptoms of the diseases they spread.

Animal precautions

Some infections, such as rabies and influenza, can be shared between humans and animals. Certain types of activities may increase your chance of contact with animals, such as travelling in rural or forested areas, camping, hiking, and visiting wet markets (places where live animals are slaughtered and sold) or caves.

Travellers are cautioned to avoid contact with animals, including dogs, livestock (pigs, cows), monkeys, snakes, rodents, birds, and bats, and to avoid eating undercooked wild game.

Closely supervise children, as they are more likely to come in contact with animals.

Person-to-person infections

Stay home if you’re sick and practise proper cough and sneeze etiquette, which includes coughing or sneezing into a tissue or the bend of your arm, not your hand. Reduce your risk of colds, the flu and other illnesses by:

  •  washing your hands often
  • avoiding or limiting the amount of time spent in closed spaces, crowded places, or at large-scale events (concerts, sporting events, rallies)
  • avoiding close physical contact with people who may be showing symptoms of illness 

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs), HIV, and mpox are spread through blood and bodily fluids; use condoms, practise safe sex, and limit your number of sexual partners. Check with your local public health authority pre-travel to determine your eligibility for mpox vaccine.  

Medical services and facilities

Health care is adequate, but varies throughout the country.

Facilities are generally good in cities such as Athens and Thessaloniki and in towns that have large hospitals, such as Heraklion, Ioannina and Patras.

If you’re travelling to smaller islands or to remote areas, you may need a medical evacuation to a central hospital, in the event of serious illness or injury.

Make sure you get travel insurance that includes coverage for medical evacuation and hospital stays.

Travel health and safety

Keep in Mind...

The decision to travel is the sole responsibility of the traveller. The traveller is also responsible for his or her own personal safety.

Be prepared. Do not expect medical services to be the same as in Canada. Pack a travel health kit, especially if you will be travelling away from major city centres.

Back to top

Laws and culture

You must abide by local laws.

Learn about what you should do and how we can help if you are arrested or detained abroad.

Transfer to a Canadian prison

Canada and Greece are signatories to the Convention on the Transfer of Sentenced Persons. This enables a Canadian imprisoned in Greece to request a transfer to a Canadian prison to complete a sentence. The transfer requires the agreement of both Canadian and Greece authorities.

This process can take a long time, and there is no guarantee that the transfer will be approved by either or both sides.


Penalties for possession, use or trafficking of illegal drugs are severe. Convicted offenders can expect prison sentences and heavy fines.

Drugs, alcohol and travel


Local police may ask to see your identification at any time.

  • Carry adequate identification at all times, such as your passport or residence permit
  • Keep a photocopy of your passport in a safe place, in case it is lost or stolen


There are restrictions on photographing and filming:

  • military installations and military personnel
  • border areas
  • harbours, airports and other transportation hubs
  • churches, monasteries and monks
  • schools

In and around these areas, you should always:

  • verify if photography is allowed or if a special permit is required
  • request permission if individuals are involved
  • refrain from photographing or filming if in doubt
  • comply with all requests from local authorities


Recreational and commercial flying of drones is regulated.

You must register your drone to use it across the European Union. If you don’t comply, you may be fined and your drone confiscated.

Useful links


Greece has strict laws regarding the possession and use of weapons and items that may be used as weapons, such as:

  • knuckledusters
  • pocketknife
  • pepper spray

Do not buy or travel with these items.

Cultural heritage and antiquities

There are strict laws regarding:

  • purchase and exportation of antiquities and objects of special significance to the country's cultural heritage
  • excavation and on-site archaeological research
  • access to underwater archaeological sites
  • filming and photography of archaeological sites for commercial purposes
  • protection of archaeological sites and monuments

To avoid any difficulties, make sure you:

  • have the proper permit to conduct activities related to cultural heritage and archaeological sites
  • obtain and carry the required legal paperwork to purchase or export antiquities

While visiting archaeological sites and monuments:

  • don’t film or photograph unless it is clearly allowed
  • stay on the dedicated paths and respect off-limits areas
  • don’t touch statues and monuments
  • don’t pick up rocks or any other artifacts found on site

Greek Cultural Heritage law - Hellenic Society for Law and Archaeology

Dual citizenship

Dual citizenship is legally recognized in Greece.

If you are a Canadian citizen, but also a citizen of Greece, our ability to offer you consular services may be limited while you're there. You may also be subject to different entry/exit requirements.

Travellers with dual citizenship

National obligations

If you are a Canadian citizen, but also a citizen of Greece, or are eligible for Greek citizenship, you may be subject to compulsory military service and other aspects of Greek law.

Obtain a document certifying your status from the Embassy of Greece prior to travel.

Useful links

International Child Abduction

The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction is an international treaty. It can help parents with the return of children who have been removed to or retained in certain countries in violation of custody rights. The convention applies between Canada and Greece.

If your child was wrongfully taken to, or is being held in Greece, and if the applicable conditions are met, you may apply for the return of your child to the Greek court.

If you are in this situation:

  • act as quickly as you can
  • contact the Central Authority for your province or territory of residence for information on starting an application under The Hague Convention
  • consult a lawyer in Canada and in Greece to explore all the legal options for the return of your child
  • report the situation to the nearest Canadian government office abroad or to the Vulnerable Children's Consular Unit at Global Affairs Canada by calling the Emergency Watch and Response Centre

If your child was removed from a country other than Canada, consult a lawyer to determine if The Hague Convention applies.

Be aware that Canadian consular officials cannot interfere in private legal matters or in another country's judicial affairs.

Useful links


If you plan on entering Greece by sea on your boat or a rented boat of a total length of over 7 metres, you must pay the Recreational and Daily Tour Cruise Ships fee (TEPAI). This must be done online prior to arrival.

Recreational and Daily Tour Cruise Ships fee - Independent Authority for Public Revenue (AADE) (in Greek)


As a tourist or temporary resident, you can drive with a valid Canadian driver’s licence.

You must have valid insurance coverage.

You must wear a helmet when driving or as a passenger of a motorcycle, a scooter or a moped. You may be fined if you fail to comply.

Carrying an individual in an irregular migration situation in your vehicle, even without your knowledge, is a criminal offence. Don’t pick up hitchhikers.

Driving in Greece - European Commission


The currency of Greece is the euro (EUR).

ATMs may not be easily available in remote areas or may be out of cash. Make sure to carry some money if you plan on visiting small islands and remote regions.

If you are carrying €10,000 or more, or the equivalent in other currencies, you must make a declaration to customs when you enter or leave the European Union. It includes sums in:

  • banknotes and coins
  • bearer negotiable instruments such as cheques, travellers’ cheques, promissory notes and money orders
  • bonds, shares
  • gold coins with a gold content of at least 90 %
  • gold bars, nuggets or clumps with a gold content of at least 99.5 %
  • any other convertible asset

This does not apply if you are travelling within the European Union or in transit to a non-EU country.

EU cash controls - European Commission

Back to top

Natural disasters and climate

Seismic activity

Greece is located in an active seismic zone. Major earthquakes could occur and can cause significant damage.


Santorini and Nisyros islands have active volcanoes.

If you’re travelling near an active volcano or are practising volcano tourism:

  • closely monitor volcanic activity levels through local media and official sources
  • ensure that you’re well informed about conditions that may pose a hazard
  • follow the advice of local authorities

Useful links

Seasonal storms and flooding

Seasonal storms and heavy rains can cause severe flooding and landslides particularly during the spring and winter months. Roads may become impassable and infrastructure damaged.

  • Stay informed of the latest regional weather forecasts
  • Follow the advice of local authorities, including evacuation orders

Weather forecast and alerts - Hellenic National Meteorological Service

Meltemi wind

The Meltemi or Etesian is a strong wind that regularly sweeps the Aegean and the eastern Mediterranean seas from May to September. It can blow uninterruptedly for several days. This wind may bring high waves, strong currents and may disrupt transportation.

If you travel to Greece during this period:

  • expect possible transportation delays or cancellations
  • be very cautious if sailing or boating
  • avoid swimming during rough sea conditions
  • monitor the latest regional weather forecasts


Wildfires are common between July and September, particularly in:

  • the Peloponnese
  • Central Greece
  • Eastern Macedonia and Thrace
  • the northern areas of Athens.

The air quality in areas near active fires may deteriorate due to heavy smoke.

In case of a major fire:

  • stay away from affected areas, particularly if you suffer from respiratory ailments
  • follow the advice of local emergency services personnel, including evacuation orders
  • monitor local media for up-to-date information on the situation

Latest information on fires - General Secretariat for Civil Protection

Back to top

Need help?

Local services

Emergency services


  • 112 for emergency assistance
  • 1571 for tourist police
  • 100 for police

Consular assistance

Athens - Embassy of Canada
Street Address48 Ethnikis Antistaseos Street, Chalandri, 152 31, Athens, GreeceTelephone+30 210 727 3400Fax+30 210 727 3480Emailathns-cs@international.gc.caInternet
Thessaloniki - Honorary consul of Canada
Street Address19, N. Kountouriotou Street, 546 25, Thessaloniki, GreeceTelephone+30 2310 256350Fax+30 2310 256351Emailpetmezas_canada@thessalaw.grInternet

For emergency consular assistance, call the Embassy of Canada to Greece, in Athens, and follow the instructions. At any time, you may also contact the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa.


The decision to travel is your choice and you are responsible for your personal safety abroad. We take the safety and security of Canadians abroad very seriously and provide credible and timely information in our Travel Advice to enable you to make well-informed decisions regarding your travel abroad.

The content on this page is provided for information only. While we make every effort to give you correct information, it is provided on an "as is" basis without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied. The Government of Canada does not assume responsibility and will not be liable for any damages in connection to the information provided.

If you need consular assistance while abroad, we will make every effort to help you. However, there may be constraints that will limit the ability of the Government of Canada to provide services.

Learn more about consular services.

Date modified: