About consular services

What are Canadian consular services?

If you, or a loved one, are outside Canada and lose your passport, need urgent medical care, have been arrested or detained, or face an emergency, Canadian consular officials may be able to help you. This help provided to Canadians abroad is called “consular services”.

You can reach consular officials 24 hours a day, seven days a week, through more than 260 points of service in 150 countries and through the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa. If you get into trouble while you are abroad, contact the nearest Government of Canada office as soon as possible.

Each case is different, and the type and amount of help consular officials can give you depends on the situation. A natural disaster, violent conflict or political unrest, or the laws and regulations in other countries may mean that consular officials are less able to help you. Before you travel, make sure you know how to find the Government of Canada office abroad closest to your destination and understand the services it can and cannot provide.

Consular officers will only get as involved as a case requires, and there are limits to the assistance we can give you. Note that you may have to pay for some of these services.

The following links provide details on assistance offered and not offered by consular officers:

Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, please contact us.

Date modified: