Sickness or injury
Many Canadians become ill and require medical assistance when they are outside of Canada. If you get sick when you are travelling, here’s how to get help:
- Most major tourist hotels have in-house doctors who can provide medical care. Hotels can also arrange appointments with local physicians.
- If you need urgent care, the best option is often the nearest hospital. In some countries, ambulances may not be common. Use whatever form of transportation you have to get to a hospital.
If you have a medical emergency while abroad, officials at the nearest Canadian government office can help. We can provide the following services:
Canadian government offices abroad can provide the following services in the event of a medical emergency:
- Provide a list of physicians, clinics and hospitals.
- Contact the next of kin or person designated in a power of attorney to make decisions in case of incapacity.
- Contact the insurance company.
- Contact a client’s medical doctor in Canada.
- Provide assistance for medical evacuation and safe transfer including liaison with service providers.
However please note that the Canadian government does not:
- Pay hospital and medical bills.
- Pay for air ambulance or other similar commercial services.
- Make decisions pertaining to a client’s medical care.
- Interfere in a client’s medical care.
- Provide medical or legal advice.
- Date modified: