Sickness or injury

Many Canadians become ill and require medical assistance when they are outside of Canada.  If you get sick when you are travelling, here’s how to get help:

  • Most major tourist hotels have in-house doctors who can provide medical care. Hotels can also arrange appointments with local physicians.
  • If you need urgent care, the best option is often the nearest hospital. In some countries, ambulances may not be common. Use whatever form of transportation you have to get to a hospital. 

Medical emergencies

If you have a medical emergency while abroad, officials at the nearest Canadian government office can help.  We can provide the following services:

Canadian government offices abroad can provide the following services in the event of a medical emergency:

  • Provide a list of physicians, clinics and hospitals.
  • Contact the next of kin or person designated in a power of attorney to make decisions in case of incapacity.
  • Contact the insurance company.
  • Contact a client’s medical doctor in Canada.
  • Provide assistance for medical evacuation and safe transfer including liaison with service providers.

However please note that the Canadian government does not:

  • Pay hospital and medical bills.
  • Pay for air ambulance or other similar commercial services.
  • Make decisions pertaining to a client’s medical care.
  • Interfere in a client’s medical care.
  • Provide medical or legal advice.
Date modified: