Taxation for Canadians travelling, living or working outside Canada

Canadians who live or work abroad or who travel a lot may still have to pay Canadian and provincial or territorial income taxes.

If you are planning to be outside Canada for an extended period of time, you should inform the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) before you go to ask for a determination of your residency status. Your residency status depends on whether you are leaving Canada permanently or only temporarily and the residential ties you keep with Canada and establish in another country:

You are leaving Canada permanently

You are leaving Canada temporarily

Visit International and non-resident taxes for information about income tax requirements that may affect you.

Related links
Other resources
Date modified: