Birth abroad

You are not obliged to register the birth of a baby born abroad. However, you may apply for a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship as proof of citizenship for a child born outside Canada.

To obtain a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, or to find out whether a child born outside Canada is a Canadian citizen, visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website. From Canada, you can contact the Citizenship and Immigration Call Centre. If you are abroad, contact the nearest Canadian government office.

Date modified: