Advice for Canadians in the U.S. Pacific Northwest

Consulate General of Canada in Seattle

Other formats
Advice for Canadians in the U.S. Pacific Northwest

Each year, millions of Canadians are drawn to the Pacific Northwest states of Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington, inspired by the profound beauty and character of the region. If you are among the many Canadians visiting or living in the region, we encourage you to note the following advice.

  • Consult our Travel Advice and Advisories at for the latest updates.
  • Sign up for the Registration of Canadians Abroad service at so we can contact and assist you in an emergency abroad or inform you of a family emergency at home.
  • Carry a valid Canadian passport, whether you are travelling or living in the United States or any other foreign country. A certificate of Canadian citizenship is not a travel document. A Canadian passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document available to Canadians for the purpose of international travel. Canadian citizens returning to Canada who present other documents may face delays at the border or be denied boarding by transport companies.
  • Obtain all required visas or permits if you will be marrying, studying, residing or working in the United States. For more information on documentation requirements, refer to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website at
  • Need your passport replaced? The Consulate General of Canada in Seattle offers emergency passport services under certain circumstances. If you need a passport for immediate travel, you should contact our office directly to discuss options. For regular  passport services, please look for the applications and instructions on the Passport Program website at
  • Travelling by land to or from Canada? Check out the border wait times online:
  • Travelling with children? Additional documents may be needed if a child is travelling abroad alone, with only one parent/guardian, with friends or relatives, or with a group. For further information about children and travel, visit
  • Taking a cruise departing from the Pacific Northwest? Consult our fact sheet entitled Advice for cruise travellers at
  • Are you prepared for a natural disaster? The Pacific Northwest is a region that could be affected by natural disasters such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis or floods. These can disrupt transportation; utilities; emergency services; medical care; and food, fuel and water supplies. Prepare your family and residence for an emergency, and be aware of local information resources in advance. Visit to learn how to create a family emergency plan, or consult the Office of Emergency Management for Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington at
  • Sign up with, a network where Canadians in the United States can receive updates, exchange news and ideas, and find out what is happening in the United States related to Canada.
For consular services in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington, contact us at:
1501 4th Ave., Suite 600, Seattle WA 98101
Tel.: 1-844-880-6519 

In case of an emergency, you may also contact the Emergency Watch and Response Centre 24/7 in Ottawa by telephone at +1 613 996 8885 (collect calls accepted) or by email at

Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, please contact us.

Date modified: