Advice for Canadians in Arizona

Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles

Other formats
Advice for Canadians in Arizona

The vast majority of Canadians who visit Arizona have a safe and rewarding experience. To make the most of your stay and prevent problems before they occur, we encourage you to follow these recommendations.

  • Consult our Travel Advice and Advisories for the United States at for the latest updates.
  • Sign up for the Registration of Canadians Abroad service at, so we can contact and assist you in an emergency abroad, such as a natural disaster or civil unrest, or inform you of an emergency at home.
  • Carry a valid Canadian passport. A passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel document. Canadian citizens returning to Canada who present other documents, such as a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, birth certificate, provincial driver’s license, or foreign passport, instead of a Canadian passport, may face delays or be denied boarding by transport companies.
  • Obtain all required visas or permits if you will be marrying, studying, residing or working in the U.S. For more information on documentation requirements, please refer to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website at
  • Need your passport replaced? The Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles can offer you emergency passport services under certain circumstances. Please contact our consular staff for more information.
  • Travelling with children? Additional documents may be needed if a child is travelling abroad alone, with only one parent/guardian, with friends or relatives, or with a group. For further information about children and travel, visit
  • Travelling for a long time? A maximum admission period of six months is the norm for Canadian citizens visiting the U.S. The length of time you are allowed to visit is determined by U.S. officials when you enter the country. Be careful not to overstay your allotted time.
  • Be aware that if you break U.S. laws, you are subject to the local judicial system. The U.S. Zero Tolerance Policy imposes severe penalties for the possession of even a small amount of an illegal drug.
  • Are you prepared for a natural disaster? Heavy rains and floods can occur at any time. There may be disruptions in transport, utilities, emergency and medical care, as well as food, fuel and water supplies. Visit the Arizona Emergency Information Network website at for further information.
  • Did you purchase travel insurance? Invest in the best travel insurance you can afford before leaving Canada to avoid the high cost of trip cancellation, hospitalization and medical evacuation. For more information, go to
  • Pack the app! Download the Travel Smart app  Travel Smart Mobile Application ( and stay connected to Canada wherever you are.
For consular services in Arizona, Nevada and southern California, contact us at:
Canadian Citizen Services
United States of America
Tel.: 1-844-880-6519

In case of emergency, contact the Emergency Watch and Response Centre 24/7 in Ottawa by telephone at +1 613 996 8885 (collect calls accepted) or by email at

TwitterTwitter: @CanCGLA

Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, please contact us.

Date modified: