Passport - Part 2

Obtaining a passport

Obtaining a passport

How to apply for a passport

Your clients can obtain an application form:

  • By downloading the form from the Passport Program website.

If you would like to stock application forms in your office, you can order them in bulk using the online order form. Make sure your existing stock of applications is up-to-date.

Canadians living in Canada can submit their application at any Passport Program office or any participating Canada Post outlet or Service Canada Centre. They can also submit their application by regular mail or courier. Visit the Passport Program website for a complete list of service locations. Advise clients that it is a good idea to send their application by courier rather than mail. This will help ensure the enclosed documents are better protected.

Visit the Passport Program website to access current information about passport applications, processing times and renewals and watch this video for tips on how to complete an application.

Previous section: Passport - Part 1
Passport expiration

Passport expiration

Canadian passports for children up to 15 years of age are valid for five years.  Passports for persons 16 years of age and older are valid for five years or 10 years, depending on the validity period selected by the applicant.

Many countries will not issue a visa or allow entry if a passport is not valid for at least six months beyond the traveller’s date of return. Your clients should not travel abroad with a passport that will expire during or shortly after a trip. The passport holder should check the applicable Travel Advice and Advisories  (select the country, then select tab 3, “Entry/Exit Requirements”) to make sure the passport meets the requirements of that country.

Clients should check before they go

Paul decides to return to Morocco to honour the memory of his deceased wife, with whom he had honeymooned years before in Casablanca. When he speaks with you about purchasing airfare, you check to see whether Morocco is a safe destination and provide all necessary security advice.

Then, Paul calls you back shortly after his planned departure date to relate his misadventure. After he landed at Casablanca Airport, Moroccan authorities checked his entry documents and had him sit in an isolated area for several hours. He was not permitted to speak with Canadian consular officials or go to his hotel. He even had to be escorted to the washroom. Finally, he was told he could not enter Morocco because his passport had expired. Two officers escorted him to the boarding gate and put him on a flight back to Canada.

Passports for children
Customs and immigration officials are on the lookout for missing childrenCustoms and immigration officials are on the lookout for missing children.

Passports for children

Children under the age of 16 require their own valid Canadian passport to travel abroad. The practice of adding a child’s name to a parent’s passport is no longer permitted. This security measure is also intended to help protect children and combat abduction, prostitution and illegal migration.

Custody, separation and divorce

You may be required to provide legal documents related to the custody of, mobility of or access to a child. For more information, consult the Passport Program website.

U.S. entry requirements
Passports to United States by air.Canadians now need a passport to enter the United States.

U.S. entry requirements

Canadians are travelling to the United States in greater numbers and more frequently than to any other foreign country. Do they need a passport to cross the border?

U.S. entry requirements have changed. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is a law requiring all travellers, including Canadians, to carry a passport when entering or transiting the United States by air. When entering the United States by land or sea, Canadians can present a valid passport, Enhanced Driver’s Licence, or Trusted Traveler Program card. Children under the age of 16, or under 19 if travelling with a school, religious or other youth group, need to present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship.

Try It NowTry It Now! Select this link to see what the implications are for your clients.



As a travel counsellor, it is in your interest to ensure that your clients have all the required documentation before leaving Canada. Depending on the destination, this could include a visa. Check the applicable Travel Advice and Advisories (select the country then select tab 3, Entry/Exit Requirements) to see whether a visa is required. If so, your client should obtain the required visa before leaving Canada.

Each country sets its own rules about who can and cannot enter, so your clients should consult the embassy or consulate of the country concerned to verify entry requirements. Travellers should apply for a visa several months in advance of their departure date, as obtaining a visa can be a time-consuming process. The entry/exit requirements section under the Travel Advice for each country also provides contact information for that country's embassy or high commission and consulates accredited to Canada.

If your client holds a valid passport, but the visa pages in the passport are already filled with visas or entry-exit stamps, he or she will have to apply for a new passport before leaving Canada.


To receive up-to-date information about visas and other entry requirements, your clients should consult our country-specific Travel Advice or contact an embassy or consulate of their destination country.

Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, please contact us.

Date modified: