Say Yes to Travel Insurance
Why should I purchase travel insurance? How much coverage do I need? Where do I get travel insurance?
Why should I purchase travel insurance?
- Your Canadian health insurance is almost certainly not valid outside of Canada.
- Your provincial or territorial health plan may cover nothing or only a very small portion of the costs of medical care abroad, and never up front.
- Foreign hospitals can be very expensive and may require immediate cash payment. You could face years of debt paying off the costs of treatment for an illness or accident you suffered abroad.
- The Government of Canada will not pay your medical bills.
How much coverage do I need?
Your travel insurance should include health, life and disability coverage that will help you avoid large expenses, such as the cost of hospitalization and medical treatment outside Canada. Ensure your coverage includes or has provisions for:
- Pre-existing medical conditions: understand the definitions of, and limitations and restrictions due to pre-existing conditions and tests and treatments you may have undergone. Ensure that any deductible costs are clearly explained in the policy and plan your finances accordingly.
- Medical evacuation: ensure the policy covers medical evacuation to Canada or to the nearest location with appropriate medical care. The policy should also cover the costs of a medical escort to accompany you to your final destination.
- Repatriation in case of death: ensure that the plan covers the preparation and return of your remains to Canada.
Where do I get travel insurance?
You can purchase travel insurance through your travel agent, insurance broker or your employer’s insurance provider. Your credit card company may also offer travel and health insurance. In all cases, be sure to verify the coverage.
- Register with us, and include your insurance policy details, such as the name of the insurance provider and policy number when signing up.
- Check the travel advice and advisories twice for each destination as it could affect your insurance coverage and be sure to pack the Travel Smart mobile app
- Call the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate for emergency assistance or reach the Emergency Watch and Response Centre 24/7 by telephone at +1 613 996-8885 (call collect where available) or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t let unforeseen bills ruin your vacation; purchase the best travel insurance you can afford before you go!
*For confidentialtity reasons, names used are fictional
- Date modified: