NEXUS is a Canada-United States program for pre-approved, low-risk travellers entering Canada or the United States (U.S.) at designated air, land and marine ports of entry. NEXUS members can enter either country quickly and easily by using automated self-serve kiosks in airports, dedicated lanes at land border crossings, and by calling Telephone Reporting Centres (TRCs) before they arrive if they are travelling by boat.
To apply for NEXUS, you must meet the following criteria:
- be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada or the U.S., or a Mexican citizen who is also a member of the Viajero Confiable program. Permanent residents of Canada and the U.S. must have resided as legal residents of Canada or the U.S. for a minimum of three years before the day of application. (Canadian or U.S. permanent residents may be exempt from the three-year residency rule under certain conditions.)
- be admissible to Canada and the U.S. under applicable immigration laws
- pass background security checks conducted by Canada and the U.S.
- meet all of the other NEXUS requirements
- Applications are processed through the U.S. Customs Border Protection Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System.
- Applicants who pass the initial security check will be interviewed at a joint Canada–United States NEXUS enrolment centre, at which time they will be photographed, fingerprinted and undergo an iris scan.
- Join NEXUS.
Dates and deadlines
- Determining an applicant's eligibility may take six to eight weeks.
- A NEXUS identification card is valid for five years.
- There is a fee of US $50 for each applicant 18 years of age or older.
- General inquiries: 1-866-639-8726
- TTY: 1-800-665-0354
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: