Bringing your pet to Canada

The Government of Canada can refuse entry to any animal that does not meet its import requirements.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) requires documents for all animals and animal products entering Canada. For more information, visit Bringing animals to Canada: Importing or travelling with pets.

Pet food imports

The CFIA regulates pet food imports and related products to prevent animal diseases from being introduced into Canada.

You can import a small amount of commercially packaged pet food made in the United States for the use of your pet while you are in Canada.

For information on importing pet food or pet treats visit the CFIA's import policies: pet food page.

Bringing pet birds to Canada

Travellers who want to bring live birds into Canada should check the requirements well in advance.

The importation of birds into Canada is also subject to the control of the Canadian Wildlife Service (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species - (CITES).

The CFIA and Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council of Canada work together for responsible commercial pet imports and sales.

If you witness bird smuggling at a Canadian border crossing or airport, report it immediately to a Canada Border Services Agency officer.

To provide information concerning bird smuggling at other times, call the Canada Border Services Agency at 1-888-502-9060 / TTY: 1-866-335-3237.

Exotic pets

Imports and exports of species listed under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Flora and Fauna (CITES) are controlled through a permit system. If you are travelling with a CITES-listed exotic pet, you will require a permit. It is illegal to bring a CITES-listed animal across Canadian and many international borders without the appropriate CITES permit.

If you are a resident of Canada and intend to take your pet temporarily and frequently out of Canada strictly for personal purposes, you can apply for a CITES Certificate of Ownership. This certificate, also known as a “pet passport,” is valid for three years, authorizes multiple exports and re-imports, and is recognized by certain countries (e.g., USA).

Related links
Other resources
Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, please contact us.

Date modified: