COVID-19: Financial help if you are outside Canada
You alone are responsible for your travel decisions. You should avoid non-essential travel outside Canada and avoid all cruise ship travel until further notice. If you are already outside Canada, think about returning as soon as possible.
Find out which of the fewer remaining commercial travel options are still available to you. Use your own financial means to arrange your return to Canada. If you have no available source of funds to return home, Canada has established the COVID-19 Emergency Loan Program for Canadians Abroad.
If you are:
- a Canadian
- in exceptional circumstances, a Canadian permanent resident
- outside the country
- planning to return to Canada but your existing plans have been disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic
Each application is assessed according to the applicant’s specific situation and needs.
This emergency assistance is a repayable loan.
How to apply
Eligible Canadians outside Canada who need financial assistance can contact the nearest Government of Canada office or Global Affairs Canada’s 24/7 Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa at +1 613-996-8885 (call collect where available) or CAN.finances.CV19@international.gc.ca.
For all other consular emergencies, contact the nearest Government of Canada office or Global Affairs Canada’s 24/7 Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa at +1 613-996-8885 (call collect where available) or email email@example.com.
- Frequently asked questions - COVID-19 Emergency Loan Program for Canadians Abroad
- Travel and COVID-19: Your safety and security outside Canada
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Travel restrictions, exemptions and advice
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: