Planning your travel finances

Whether you are travelling abroad on business or on vacation, make your trip more secure and enjoyable by planning your finances in advance. Check our Travel Advice and Advisories for country-specific information on local laws and currencies.

Talk to your financial institution

Credit cards, debit cards and ATMs

Protect yourself

Leaving Canada with $10,000 or more

Under Canada’s Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act, you must report amounts of currency equal to or greater than CAN $10,000 or its equivalent in a foreign currency to the nearest Canada Border Services Agency office that is open at the time you are travelling. These rules apply whether you care carrying the money with you or sending it by mail or by courier.

Related links

Other resources


Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, please contact us.

Date modified: