Last updated:
Still valid:
Latest updates:
A minor editorial change was made.


Netherlands - Exercise normal security precautions

There is no nationwide advisory in effect for the Netherlands. Exercise normal security precautions.



The decision to travel is your responsibility. You are also responsible for your personal safety abroad. The purpose of this Travel Advice is to provide up-to-date information to enable you to make well-informed decisions.


Violent crime rarely occurs. However, petty crime (pickpocketing, bag snatching) occurs in the larger cities, particularly in Amsterdam, where it constitutes a major problem. Tourists are frequently victims of robbery. Be vigilant at all times and pay attention to your surroundings.

Thieves operate on trains and time their activities to coincide with train stops, for a quick exit. Victims who resist have been physically assaulted. Be particularly cautious on trains to and from Schiphol Airport.

In Amsterdam, thieves are also active in restaurants, around the De Wallen district (red-light district) and at Central Station, as well as on public transportation, especially tram routes 1 and 5, between Central Station and the museum district.

Organized gangs of thieves often use distracting techniques. Typically, a member of the gang will soil the victim’s clothes or ask directions while others rob the victim.

Passports and other valuable documents are often stolen from youth hostels in Amsterdam.


On March 13, 2013, the Dutch Government raised its national terrorism threat level from “limited” to “substantial”. While stressing that there are no reliable indications that terrorist networks are currently plotting attacks in the Netherlands, the Dutch authorities have raised their levels of vigilance given their assessment that there is a realistic possibility that an attack will take place in the Netherlands. Exercise caution and maintain a high level of personal security awareness at all times and in all places. Consult the Ministry of Security and Justice for more information on threat levels.

Spiked food and drinks

Never leave food or drinks unattended or in the care of strangers. Be wary of accepting snacks, beverages, gum or cigarettes from new acquaintances, as they may contain drugs that could put you at risk of sexual assault and robbery. Such incidents have been reported.

Road safety

Roads are excellent, although road congestion is common in areas around Amsterdam, The Hague and Rotterdam, where rail is a convenient alternative. There is a chronic lack of parking spaces throughout the country, and fines for illegal parking are severe.

Public transportation

Public transportation is excellent.

Taxi service is generally safe but expensive.

Trams and cyclists have priority over other traffic. Motorists and pedestrians must pay attention to cyclists and cycle paths. The centre lanes of many urban two-way streets are reserved for buses, trams and taxis.

Rail is convenient in the areas of Amsterdam, The Hague and Rotterdam. Consult the Dutch website Holland by train for more information.

See Transportation Safety in order to verify if national airlines meet safety standards.


Demonstrations occur periodically in larger urban centres such as Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague. Avoid all demonstrations and large gatherings as they have the potential to suddenly turn violent. Follow the advice of local authorities and monitor local media.

General safety measures

Exercise normal safety precautions. Ensure that personal belongings, passports and other travel documents are secure at all times. Do not carry valuables or large sums of money. Do not leave baggage or personal belongings unattended in vehicles at any time.

Emergency services

Dial 112 for emergency assistance.

Tourist Assistance Services (TAS) offer help to travellers in difficulty. Dial 020-625-3246 to reach the TAS in Amsterdam, and dial 070-42-44-000 or email for the TAS in The Hague.

Entry/exit requirements

Entry/exit requirements

It is the sole prerogative of each country or region to determine who is allowed to enter. Canadian consular officials cannot intervene on your behalf if you do not meet entry requirements. The following information on entry and exit requirements has been obtained from the Dutch authorities. However, these requirements are subject to change at any time. It is your responsibility to check with the Royal Netherlands Embassy or one of its consulates for up-to-date information.

Official (special and diplomatic) passport holders must consult the Official Travel page, as they may be subject to different entry requirements.


Canadians must present a passport which must be valid for at least three months beyond the date of their expected departure from the Schengen area. Before you leave, ask your transportation company about its requirements related to passport validity, which may be more stringent than the country's entry rules.

Customs officials will ask you to show them a return ticket and proof of sufficient funds for your stay.

Dual citizenship

In certain countries, dual citizenship may limit the ability of Canadian officials to provide consular services. You should travel using your Canadian passport and present yourself as Canadian to foreign authorities at all times. See Travelling as a dual citizen for more information.


Tourist visa: Not required for stays up to 90 days*

Business visa: Not required for stays up to 90 days*

Student visa: Not required for stays up to 90 days*

* The 90 days begin upon initial entry into any country of the Schengen area.

Schengen area

The following 26 countries comprise the Schengen Area: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

The Schengen area has common rules regarding visas and controls at external borders.

You do not need visas for short-term visits of up to 90 days within a six-month period. Your stays are cumulative, and include visits to any country within the Schengen area. Some countries require that you register with local authorities within three working days of your arrival.

It is important to get your passport stamped when entering the Schengen area. The absence of an entry stamp from the initial Schengen port of entry could create difficulties during subsequent encounters with local police or other authorities throughout the Schengen area.

After 90 days of stay in the Schengen area, you must leave for another 90 days before you can re-enter.

If you overstay the permitted 90 days in the Schengen area, you may be fined or deported. To visit for longer than 90 days, you must obtain a long-stay national visa.

Children and travel

Children need special documentation to visit certain countries. See Children for more information.

Yellow fever

See Health to obtain information on this country’s vaccination requirements.



Related Travel Health Notices
Consult a health care provider or visit a travel health clinic preferably six weeks before you travel.

Routine Vaccines

Be sure that your routine vaccines are up-to-date regardless of your travel destination.

Vaccines to Consider

You may be at risk for these vaccine-preventable diseases while travelling in this country. Talk to your travel health provider about which ones are right for you.

Hepatitis B

Hepatitis B is a disease of the liver spread through blood or other bodily fluids. Travellers who may be exposed (e.g., through sexual contact, medical treatment, sharing needles, tattooing, acupuncture or occupational exposure) should get vaccinated.


Seasonal influenza occurs worldwide. The flu season usually runs from November to April in the northern hemisphere, between April and October in the southern hemisphere and year round in the tropics. Influenza (flu) is caused by a virus spread from person to person when they cough or sneeze or by touching objects and surfaces that have been contaminated with the virus. Get the flu shot.


Measles is a highly contagious viral disease and is common in most parts of the world. Be sure your measles vaccination is up-to-date regardless of your travel destination.

Yellow Fever Vaccination

Yellow fever is a disease caused by a flavivirus from the bite of an infected mosquito.

Travellers get vaccinated either because it is required to enter a country or because it is recommended for their protection.

* It is important to note that country entry requirements may not reflect your risk of yellow fever at your destination. It is recommended that you contact the nearest diplomatic or consular office of the destination(s) you will be visiting to verify any additional entry requirements.
  • There is no risk of yellow fever in this country.
Country Entry Requirement*
  • Proof of vaccination is not required to enter this country.
  • Vaccination is not recommended.

Food and Water-borne Diseases

Travellers to any destination in the world can develop travellers' diarrhea from consuming contaminated water or food.

Practise safe food and water precautions while travelling in Western Europe. When in doubt, remember…boil it, cook it, peel it, or leave it!


Insects and Illness

In some areas in Western Europe, certain insects carry and spread diseases like Lyme disease, tick-borne encephalitis, and West Nile virus.

Travellers are advised to take precautions against bites.



There is no risk of malaria in this country.


Animals and Illness

Travellers are cautioned to avoid contact with animals, including dogs, snakes, rodents, birds, and bats. Certain infections found in some areas in Western Europe, like rabies, can be shared between humans and animals.


Person-to-Person Infections

Crowded conditions can increase your risk of certain illnesses. Remember to wash your hands often and practice proper cough and sneeze etiquette to avoid colds, the flu and other illnesses.

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and HIV are spread through blood and bodily fluids; practise safer sex.

Medical services and facilities

Excellent medical facilities are widely available.

Keep in Mind...

The decision to travel is the sole responsibility of the traveller. The traveller is also responsible for his or her own personal safety.

Be prepared. Do not expect medical services to be the same as in Canada. Pack a travel health kit, especially if you will be travelling away from major city centres.

Laws & culture

Laws & culture

You are subject to local laws. See Arrest and detention for more information.

Canada and the Netherlands are signatories to the European Convention on the Transfer of Sentenced Persons. This enables a Canadian imprisoned in the Netherlands to request a transfer to a Canadian prison to complete a sentence. The transfer requires the agreement of both Canadian and Dutch authorities.


You must carry adequate identification at all times if you are over the age of 14. Anyone failing to show appropriate identification to law enforcement authorities upon request may be fined. Valid passports, Dutch residence permits, and driving licences issued in the Netherlands or elsewhere in the European Union and the European Economic Area are considered acceptable. Keep a photocopy of your passport in case of loss or seizure.

Report the loss or theft of identification documents immediately to the nearest police station. Obtain a copy of the police report, keep it on your person and apply for a replacement document as soon as possible.

Illegal drugs

The possession, use and sale of small amounts of marijuana and hashish by licensed "coffee shops" have been decriminalized and are unlikely to lead to criminal charges. However, possession, use or trafficking of illegal drugs remains illegal and penalties are strict. Convicted offenders can expect jail sentences and heavy fines.

Driving laws

You must be at least 18 years old to drive a car in the Netherlands. An International Driving Permit is recommended.

Penalties for drinking and driving are strict. The legal blood alcohol limit is 0.05 percent.

The use of cellular telephones while driving is prohibited, unless they are fitted with a hands-free device.

Same-sex marriages

Same-sex marriage is legal.


The currency of the Netherlands is the euro (EUR).

Traveller’s cheques and credit cards are widely accepted, and automated banking machines (ABMs) are widely available.

When crossing one of the external border control points of the European Union (EU), you must make a declaration to customs upon entry or exit if you have at least €10,000, or the equivalent in other currencies. The sum can be in cash, cheques, money orders, traveller’s cheques or any other convertible assets. This does not apply if you are travelling within the EU or in transit to a non-EU country. For more information on the EU legislation and links to EU countries’ sites, visit the web page of the European Commission on cash controls.

Natural disasters & climate

Natural disasters & climate

Flooding is a threat on coastal lands protected from the sea by dikes.



The Hague - Embassy of Canada
Street AddressSophialaan 7, 2514 JP The Hague, The NetherlandsTelephone31 (70) 311-1600Fax31 (70) 311-1620Emailhague@international.gc.caInternetwww.netherlands.gc.caServicesPassport Services AvailableFacebookEmbassy of Canada to the NetherlandsTwitterAmbassador of Canada to the Netherlands: @CanAmbNL

For emergency assistance after hours, call the Embassy of Canada in The Hague and follow the instructions. You may also make a collect call to the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa at 613-996-8885.

Date modified: