Last updated: ET

Still valid: ET

Latest updates: An editorial change was made.



Germany - Exercise normal security precautions

There is no nationwide advisory in effect for Germany. Exercise normal security precautions.



The decision to travel is your responsibility. You are also responsible for your personal safety abroad. The purpose of this Travel Advice is to provide up-to-date information to enable you to make well-informed decisions.


Violent crime in Germany is low. However, petty crime (mugging, pickpocketing and purse snatching) occurs in major cities and train stations, airports and Christmas markets.

Pickpockets often work in teams and target trains, railway stations and airports. Their methods include distracting the attention of a victim who is boarding or alighting from a train or surrounding the victim in line-ups or at check-in counters.

There have been reports of individuals being harassed or attacked for reasons of race or foreign-looking appearance.

Arson attacks on parked vehicles have occurred.


There is a threat of terrorism in Europe. Terrorist attacks could occur at any time and could target areas frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers, such as tourist attractions, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, shopping centres, markets, hotels, schools, places of worship and airports and other transportation hubs. Exercise caution if attending sporting events, religious holiday celebrations and other public festivities. Remain vigilant at all times, monitor local media and follow the advice of local authorities.

The Government of Germany maintains a public alert system on terrorism. Visit the website of the German Federal Ministry of the Interior for more information.


Demonstrations occur and have the potential to suddenly turn violent. Avoid all demonstrations and large gatherings, follow the advice of local authorities and monitor local media.

Strikes may occasionally interfere with mail, telephone, transport and other services.


Roads and public transportation are excellent in the west and good throughout the east.

Rail service is widely available and reliable.

Air travel

The Government of Canada does not assess foreign domestic airlines’ compliance with international aviation safety standards. See Foreign domestic airlines for more information.

General safety Information

There have been reports of numerous incidents of muggings and sexual assaults, which occurred during large gatherings in Cologne and other German cities on New Year’s Eve 2015. Exercise normal security precautions and be particularly vigilant if attending events drawing large crowds. Ensure that personal belongings, passports and other travel documents are secure at all times.

There has been a significant increase in the number of migrants and refugees entering Europe. Some countries have already experienced disruptions to transportation services, including at ferry ports and railway stations, and have seen major delays at border crossings. The situation also heightens the potential for demonstrations that could turn violent without warning, particularly at railway stations and other transportation hubs. If you are travelling in the region, monitor local news and follow the advice of local authorities, and contact your transport carrier to determine whether the situation could disrupt your travel.

Emergency services

Dial 112 for emergency assistance. Dial 110 In the event of a traffic accident.

Entry/exit requirements

Entry/exit requirements

It is the sole prerogative of every country or territory to determine who is allowed to enter or exit. Canadian consular officials cannot intervene on your behalf if you do not meet entry or exit requirements. The following information has been obtained from the German authorities and is subject to change at any time. The country- or territory-specific entry/exit requirements are provided on this page for information purposes only. While every effort is made to provide accurate information, information contained here is provided on an "as is" basis without warranty of any kind, express or implied. The Government of Canada assumes no responsibility, and shall not be liable for any damages in connection to the information provided. It is your responsibility to check with the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany or one of its consulates for up-to-date information.

Official (special and diplomatic) passport holders must consult the Official Travel page, as they may be subject to different entry requirements.


Canadians must present a passport to visit Germany, which must be valid for at least three months beyond the date of expected departure from that country. Prior to travelling, ask your transportation company about its requirements related to passport validity, which may be more stringent than the country's entry rules.

If you intend to reside in Germany for three months or more, you must register with the German authorities (Einwohnermeldeamt) within seven days of your entry into the country.

Temporary border controls

The German government has reintroduced internal border controls at certain border crossings. Canadians may be required to pass through immigration controls when entering Germany, even if arriving from another Schengen area country.


Tourist visa: Not required for stays up to 90 days*

Business visa: Not required for stays up to 90 days*

Student visa: Required

* The 90 days begin upon initial entry into any country of the Schengen area.

Extension of tourist visits longer than 90 days is not possible; you must apply for a residence permit and provide a valid reason. If you stay beyond the 90-day limit unexpectedly (for example, due to illness), contact the Foreigners' Office (Ausländerbehörde) to get a certificate (Grenzuebertrittsbescheinigung) that must be submitted to the border authorities upon departure.  For more information, dial 030 90269 4000 to reach the Foreigners' Office Service. 

For the latest information on German immigration law, consult the German Ministry of the Interior website.

Schengen area

The following 26 countries comprise the Schengen Area: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

The Schengen area has common rules regarding visas and controls at external borders and has abolished checks within the area’s internal borders. However, some Schengen area countries may require that you register with local authorities shortly after your arrival, particularly when staying in private accommodations.

Canadians do not need a visa for travel to countries within the Schengen area for stays of up to 90 days in any 180-day period. Stays are cumulative and include visits to any country within the Schengen area.

It is important to get your passport stamped when you first enter the Schengen area. The absence of an entry stamp from the initial Schengen port of entry could create difficulties during subsequent encounters with local police or other authorities throughout the Schengen area or at the time of departure from the area.

If you overstay the permitted 90 days in the Schengen area, you may be fined or deported. If you plan to stay in the Schengen area for longer than the 90 days in any 180-day period, you must contact the high commission or embassy of the country or countries you are travelling to and obtain the appropriate visa prior to travel.

The European Commission’s (EC's) Migration and Home Affairs provides additional information and a calculator of travel days remaining, taking into account previous stays in the Schengen area.

The Schengen Borders Code allows member states to temporarily reintroduce internal border controls in the event that a serious threat to public policy or internal security has been established. Canadians wishing to enter a Schengen area country that has reintroduced internal border controls could be required to present a passport, valid for at least three months from the time of expected departure from that country. For additional information, visit the EC’s Temporary Reintroduction of Border Control.

Children and travel

Children need special documentation to visit certain countries. See Children for more information.

Yellow fever

See Health to obtain information on this country’s vaccination requirements.



Related Travel Health Notices
Consult a health care provider or visit a travel health clinic preferably six weeks before you travel.

Routine Vaccines

Be sure that your routine vaccines are up-to-date regardless of your travel destination.

Vaccines to Consider

You may be at risk for these vaccine-preventable diseases while travelling in this country. Talk to your travel health provider about which ones are right for you.

Hepatitis B

Hepatitis B is a disease of the liver spread through blood or other bodily fluids. Travellers who may be exposed (e.g., through sexual contact, medical treatment, sharing needles, tattooing, acupuncture or occupational exposure) should get vaccinated.


Seasonal influenza occurs worldwide. The flu season usually runs from November to April in the northern hemisphere, between April and October in the southern hemisphere and year round in the tropics. Influenza (flu) is caused by a virus spread from person to person when they cough or sneeze or by touching objects and surfaces that have been contaminated with the virus. Get the flu shot.


Measles is a highly contagious viral disease and is common in most parts of the world. Be sure your measles vaccination is up-to-date regardless of your travel destination.

Tick-borne encephalitis

Tick-borne encephalitis is a viral disease that affects the central nervous system. It is spread to humans by the bite of an infected tick. Vaccination should be considered for those who may be exposed to ticks (e.g., those participating in outdoor activities in wooded areas) while travelling in regions with risk of tick-borne encephalitis.

Yellow Fever Vaccination

Yellow fever is a disease caused by a flavivirus from the bite of an infected mosquito.

Travellers get vaccinated either because it is required to enter a country or because it is recommended for their protection.

* It is important to note that country entry requirements may not reflect your risk of yellow fever at your destination. It is recommended that you contact the nearest diplomatic or consular office of the destination(s) you will be visiting to verify any additional entry requirements.
  • There is no risk of yellow fever in this country.
Country Entry Requirement*
  • Proof of vaccination is not required to enter this country.
  • Vaccination is not recommended.

Food and Water-borne Diseases

Travellers to any destination in the world can develop travellers' diarrhea from consuming contaminated water or food.

Practise safe food and water precautions while travelling in Western Europe. When in doubt, remember…boil it, cook it, peel it, or leave it!


Insects and Illness

In some areas in Western Europe, certain insects carry and spread diseases like Lyme disease, tick-borne encephalitis, and West Nile virus.

Travellers are advised to take precautions against bites.



There is no risk of malaria in this country.


Animals and Illness

Travellers are cautioned to avoid contact with animals, including dogs, snakes, rodents, birds, and bats. Certain infections found in some areas in Western Europe, like rabies, can be shared between humans and animals.


Person-to-Person Infections

Crowded conditions can increase your risk of certain illnesses. Remember to wash your hands often and practice proper cough and sneeze etiquette to avoid colds, the flu and other illnesses.

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and HIV are spread through blood and bodily fluids; practise safer sex.

Medical services and facilities

Good medical care is widely available. A hospital stay or medical treatment is expensive, and immediate cash payment is often expected. German hospitals do not issue the detailed breakdown of expenses that is usually required by Canadian insurance companies. Such a detailed bill has to be requested from the hospital or the doctor.

Keep in Mind...

The decision to travel is the sole responsibility of the traveller. The traveller is also responsible for his or her own personal safety.

Be prepared. Do not expect medical services to be the same as in Canada. Pack a travel health kit, especially if you will be travelling away from major city centres.

Laws & culture

Laws & culture

You are subject to local laws. See Arrest and detention for more information.

Canada and Germany are signatories to the European Convention on the Transfer of Sentenced Persons. This enables a Canadian imprisoned in Germany to request a transfer to a Canadian prison to complete a sentence. The transfer requires the agreement of both Canadian and German authorities.


Carry adequate identification at all times, as police have the right to ask to see it. Keep a photocopy of your passport in case of loss or seizure.

Dual citizenship

Dual citizenship is legally recognized in Germany. However, Canadian officials may be limited in their ability to provide you with consular services if local authorities consider you a German citizen. You should travel using your Canadian passport and present yourself as Canadian to foreign authorities at all times to minimize this risk. Citizenship is determined solely by national laws, and the decision to recognize dual citizenship rests completely with the country in which you are located when seeking consular assistance. See Travelling as a dual citizen for more information.

Illegal drugs

Penalties for possession, use or trafficking of illegal drugs are strict. Convicted offenders can expect jail sentences or heavy fines.

Driving laws

You must be at least 18 years old to drive a vehicle in Germany. An International Driving Permit is recommended.

A Canadian driver's licence can be used for a maximum of six months. After six months, your Canadian licence must be exchanged for a German one. Allow up to six weeks for German authorities to exchange the licence.

You must always carry your driver's licence as well as insurance, vehicle documents and written permission from the registered owner if the vehicle does not belong to you.

Observe traffic laws and regulations, particularly rights-of-way and speed limits. Much of the autobahn network authorizes much higher speeds than normally allowed in Canada. Exercise caution.

The use of cellular telephones while driving is prohibited, unless they are fitted with a hands-free device.

Penalties for drinking and driving are strict. The legal blood alcohol limit is 0.05 percent. Convicted offenders can expect heavy fines, and driver's licences may be confiscated immediately.


The currency of Germany is the euro (EUR).

Traveller’s cheques can be exchanged at most banks and some shops. Credit cards are widely accepted at major hotels, shops and restaurants. Automated banking machines (ABMs) are widely available.

When crossing one of the external border control points of the European Union (EU), you must make a declaration to customs upon entry or exit if you have at least €10,000, or the equivalent in other currencies. The sum can be in cash, cheques, money orders, traveller’s cheques or any other convertible assets. This does not apply if you are travelling within the EU or in transit to a non-EU country. For more information on the EU legislation and links to EU countries’ sites, visit the web page of the European Commission on cash controls.

Natural disasters & climate

Natural disasters & climate

Temperatures can be lower at high altitudes in the Alps.

There is a possibility of flooding in spring and summer. The states of Bavaria, Saxony and Saxony-Anhalt experienced severe flooding in early June 2013 and some areas may not have fully recovered. Exercise caution, monitor local media and follow the advice of local authorities.



Berlin - Embassy of Canada
Street AddressLeipziger Platz 17, 10117 Berlin, GermanyTelephone49 (30) 20312 470; 49 (30) 20312 0Fax49 (30) 20 31 24 57Emailbrlin-cs@international.gc.caInternetwww.germany.gc.caServicesPassport Services AvailableFacebookEmbassy of Canada to GermanyTwitter@CanEmbGermany
Düsseldorf - Consulate of Canada
Street AddressBenrather Strasse 8, 40213 Düsseldorf, GermanyTelephone49 (211) 17 21 70Fax49 (211) 35 91 65Emailddorf@international.gc.caInternetwww.germany.gc.caServicesPassport Services Available
Munich - Consulate of Canada
Street AddressTal 29, 80331 Munich, GermanyTelephone49 (89) 21 99 57 0Fax49 (89) 21 99 57 57Emailmunic@international.gc.caInternetwww.germany.gc.caServicesPassport Services Available
Stuttgart - Consulate of Canada
Street AddressLeitzstrasse 45, 70469 Stuttgart, GermanyTelephone49 (711) 22 39 67 8Fax49 (711) 22 39 67

When making a long-distance call within Germany, the city code must be preceded by a zero. For example, to call Berlin from elsewhere in Germany, you must dial 030 followed by the local number.

For emergency assistance , call the embassy of Canada in Berlin and follow the instructions. At any time, you may also call the Emergency Watch and Response Centre located in Ottawa.

Date modified: