Registration of Canadians abroad

All Canadians travelling or living abroad should sign up for our Registration of Canadians Abroad, a free service that enables government officials to contact you and assist you in case of an emergency abroad, such as a natural disaster or civil unrest, or inform you of an emergency at home.

The best time to register is before leaving Canada, but you can also register while abroad.    

The registration information process

You can register online or in person.

You must provide travel information and personal details, such as your passport number, residency information in the destination country and emergency contact information in Canada.

Personal information obtained through registration is confidential and is used in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act.

Updating your account information

If you registered online, you can sign in to update your account information.

If you registered by mail, fax or in person, you must:

If you choose not to sign up for the Registration of Canadians Abroad Service

You are strongly advised to make the following arrangements before you leave so that the Government of Canada can contact you in case of an emergency:

Date modified: