When all means of commercial or personal transportation have been exhausted, the Government of Canada may help Canadians to leave a country as a last resort. The situation varies from country to country.

The Government of Canada has helped to evacuate its citizens in crisis situations ranging from hurricanes in the Caribbean, to the tsunami in South Asia, to warfare in Lebanon.

Canada sometimes coordinates evacuation assistance with other countries such as Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States.

If a crisis requires evacuation, the Government of Canada’s policy is to provide Canadian travellers with transportation to the nearest safe haven on a cost-recovery basis. If you receive evacuation assistance from the Government of Canada, you must also pay for any travel beyond a safe haven. After your return to Canada, you will receive an invoice from Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada detailing your debt. The invoice must be repaid within 30 days of receipt of an invoice.

There may be constraints on government resources that limit the ability of the Government of Canada to provide assistance, particularly in countries where the potential for violent conflict or political instability is high.

Emergency advice

If you find yourself in a deteriorating situation abroad, you should consider leaving if you can do so safely.

Sign up with the Registration of Canadians Abroad service so that our representatives can contact and assist you in case of an emergency in a foreign country.

If there is a natural disaster or civil emergency in the country you are visiting, listen to local news broadcasts for updates on the situation. Keep a low profile and maintain close contact with your family to inform them of your situation. Carry an emergency kit so that you will be prepared to be self-sufficient for at least 72 hours.

Date modified: